"Gateway to Papua and Raja Ampat" Sorong by DSwede
Sorong Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 123 photos
I came to the small, almost frontier town of Sorong to begin a much anticipated liveaboard scuba diving holiday in the region of Raja Ampat. We boarded the boat in Sorong and disembarked in an even smaller town of Kaimana.
Sorong is located on the west edge of the Island of Papua, on what is known as the Bird's Head Peninsula.
Papua is the second largest island in the world (behind Iceland), however it has an extremely small population due to its remote location, its thick jungles and mountainous terrain that is difficult for agricultural planting.
Feel free to visit my Indonesia page for my thoughts of some of the many islands that I have visited.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Indonesia Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:The people do not know tourists, so you will be treated as one of them.
- Cons:Far enough off the path that most people will never make it here.
- In a nutshell:Gateway to some of the best diving in the world!
Raja Ampat, along with having some of the most bio-diverse life of any ocean, is home to more seahorses than I've seen... more travel advice
There are some more sizable villages in Raja Ampat area that have populations of 100~1000 people. However, there are... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Sorong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Raised At Papua New Guinea - Irian Jaya"
- "SORONG, Belong to IRIAN JAYA BARAT"
- "Raja Ampat, What a BREATHTAKING!"
- "Raja Ampat, Where the Fish Live"
- "Gateway to Papua and Raja Ampat"
- "Head of Bird"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sorong
- Hotels in Sorong
- Transportation in Sorong
- Nightlife in Sorong
- Restaurants in Sorong
- Shopping in Sorong
- Warnings and Dangers in Sorong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sorong
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Sorong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sorong
Photos in SorongSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue