"Let the locals bathe" Haridwar by DSwede
Haridwar Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 206 photos
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my India Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
Also, please see my India page for more general comments.
I left Panipat for a 3-hr drive to Haridwar (translating into ‘God’s Gate’). This is a famous holy city for the Indians, straddling the Ganges River at the base of the Himalayan foothills. Everyday, thousands of people (at a minimum) make the religious pilgrimage to bathe in the holy river. Upon both sunrise and sunset, there is a 15-min ceremony at the Hindu shrine on its banks. I’m not sure how people manage to oversee it, but this clean, holy river which waters are used to bathe, wash and cook with, is not actually clean. The crowded sidewalks and river banks are busy with beggars, stray animals, mindlessly wandering cows, trash and waste (of all origins). All of which goes into the water. But nonetheless it is amazing to see how transformed these people’s attitudes are after submerging in the waters.
Next stop after Haridwar was the Mountain Station of Mussoorie.
- Pros:The ceremonies are captivating and memorable.
- Cons:May be difficult to find accommodation during the ceremonies.
- In a nutshell:If you visit during the baths, you'll probably wonder if any one can actually get clean in that river.
DSwede's Related Pages
Haridwar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to God"
- "HARIDWAR- GATEWAY TO SOURCE OF THE GANGES!!!!"
- "A Day at Haridwar"
- "haridwar-hari ki dwar...."
- "Hardwar - The doorway to Lord Shiva"
- "Half a day in Haridwar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haridwar
- Hotels in Haridwar
- Transportation in Haridwar
- Restaurants in Haridwar
- Warnings and Dangers in Haridwar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haridwar
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Haridwar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haridwar
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos