"Mussoorie - An Old Hill Station" Mussoorie by DSwede

Mussoorie Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 213 photos

Welcome to the foothills

Mussoorie was began as an English hill station. The British would often escape up to the foothills and higher elevations to avoid the extreme heat of the summer in the southern cities and flat plains (like Delhi). Its not a large city and can be seen in a day, but it is nice to escape the heat of the Punjab plains. I made the journey here from Panipat after stopping in Haridwar.

Mussoorie is a mountain town, centered on the saddle of the mountain ridge. The town is basically 90% make-shift hotels and 10% street shops. Basically the fun to be had here is just a slow walk to admire the view and imagine how the large buildings were built. After passing the town of Mussoorie, halfway down the back side was the Kempty Waterfalls. With a small series of 50 ft falls, the last one ended in a small pool (made with the help of a small concrete wall) where lots of people came to splash about.

The most memorable thing about visiting the Falls, as far as I’m concerned, was the road to get there. Imagine a large steep mountain rising up 7000 feet from the plains below. The road was as narrow and curvy as the road to Kona, with about the same steep drop on the shoulder. However, it was by no means maintained as well. I’ve actually seen abandoned dirt logging roads have more passable stretches and less washed-out parts. Not to mention the same haphazard traffic and drivers as previously described. A couple of times I had flashbacks about how I nearly killed myself on some 4x4 roads in the Rockies. The only thought that passed through my mind was about how the little subcompact 800cc car would bare a striking resemblance to a crushed aluminum can at the bottom of a cliff.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my India Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

Also, please see my India page for more general comments.

• Pros:The cool mountain air feels so good after living in the hot plains below.
  • Cons:Long twisty mountain roads are not always that safe.
  • In a nutshell:Get your legs ready for walking steep hills and you'll enjoy the lush green mountains.
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2011

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Hi Dave, I was in Mussoorie in December! I didn't see the falls though. I don't think we knew about them. What a shame. I did see a lot of people throwing up on the roadside on the way up and way down!

• umashanker's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 3:41 AM

welcome a page on Mussoorie.This hill station is named after a grass found on this mountain in abundnce.Best wishes.

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Mussoorie

Have you been to Mussoorie?

Latest Activity in Mussoorie