"Panipat - home of linens & the "Pachranga Pickle"" Panipat by DSwede
Panipat Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 2 photos
I realize that not everyone can control where they must go, but if you can, if you are a foreigner, there really is no reason to stop in Panipat (no offense to the locals). It is a ~3 hour drive north of Delhi, but a good place to rest up and continue to Haridwar.
OK, fellow VT'er umashanker corrected my original posting that "Panipat is the hub of powerloom and it offer cheep & beautiful bed sheets. It is also famous for "Pachranga"Pickle."
I stand corrected. In my months in and near Panipat, I did learn that the area is famous for its fabrics, but in all honestly the destination seeking traveler will not come here simply for good sheets.
As for the Pachranga Pickle... I saw the signs everywhere on the main streets where stores were selling them. But once again, I must confess that I had never heard of them before. The signs claimed that they had the "World Famous Pachranga"... but only the Indians that I met were enlightened that these were 'world famous'.
Panipat is also the historic site of the Three Battles of Panipat (first in 1526, then 1556, then 1761), but the history is only evident by a few statues placed along the sides of the roads and a 5-minute visit to a small museum well off the beaten bath to the east.
I saw what was listed by the Panipat tourist agency in two afternoons (after work), and honestly speaking I walked by many of them not knowing that they were even there.
I wound up reading many books... and from time to time sat on the street and watched traffic, inhaled dust and exhaust.
- Pros:Possible in a (long) day trip from Delhi.
- Cons:All accommodations face the road, with endless sounds of horns.
- In a nutshell:Unless you're searching for linens or working the local IOCL plant, not much to see here.
Having stayed in a few various hotels in the area, I found Hotel Gold to be the most comfortable. Their rooms are not... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Panipat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Panipat - home of linens & the "Pachranga Pickle""
- "Panipat - Haryana State"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Panipat
- 2 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Panipat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panipat
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Niterói Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue