"Traditional Folk" Andong by DSwede
Andong Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 78 photos
While KBS (Korean Broadcasting Service) might have purposely built a mock-up village for their productions here, there are a few that are authentic.
The Korean government has stepped in to limit the development and thereby regulate the antiquity of some of these villages. The Hahoe village (HahoeMaeul) is arguably the most popular. I've been told that the increase in tourism and popularity over the last 30 years has put a strain on the area and left a bit of a footprint, but I admit you can still easily see the old traditional ways.
But surrounding the entire area are some of the most popular temples, ancient academies and villages in Korea.
To maintain some of the ancient ways, outside of Hahoe, we even watched a river fisherman push his way out in this large boat, using only a stick (no paddles or motor).
- Pros:The folk villages are genuine, not fabricated.
- Cons:Slow train or bus is the only way to access Andong.
- In a nutshell:A historic city with folk villages, but requires patience to go back and forth between all the places.
Particularly in the pedestrian streets near Eumsikui-Geori ("Food street") and the Cultural street (highlighted on most... more travel advice
Some others have already commented on the festival, so here's a few pieces of information that I feel were omitted. The... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Andong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Traditional Folk"
- "History Heaven in Andong!"
- "Andong - City of Culture"
- "Hahoe Village"
- "The Traditional South"
- "Andong and Hahoe village"
- "Andong / Hahoe Folk Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andong
- Hotels in Andong
- Transportation in Andong
- Nightlife in Andong
- Restaurants in Andong
- Shopping in Andong
- Warnings and Dangers in Andong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andong
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (164)
Have you been to Andong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andong
Photos in AndongSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Antarctica Intro, 17 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos