"Traditional Folk" Andong by DSwede

Andong Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 78 photos

While KBS (Korean Broadcasting Service) might have purposely built a mock-up village for their productions here, there are a few that are authentic.

The Korean government has stepped in to limit the development and thereby regulate the antiquity of some of these villages. The Hahoe village (HahoeMaeul) is arguably the most popular. I've been told that the increase in tourism and popularity over the last 30 years has put a strain on the area and left a bit of a footprint, but I admit you can still easily see the old traditional ways.

But surrounding the entire area are some of the most popular temples, ancient academies and villages in Korea.

To maintain some of the ancient ways, outside of Hahoe, we even watched a river fisherman push his way out in this large boat, using only a stick (no paddles or motor).

For my thoughts and insights into the rest of Korea, feel free to visit my S Korea page.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my S Korea Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:The folk villages are genuine, not fabricated.
  • Cons:Slow train or bus is the only way to access Andong.
  • In a nutshell:A historic city with folk villages, but requires patience to go back and forth between all the places.
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2011

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Andong