"More Blossoms than you thought possible" Chinhae by DSwede

Chinhae Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 14 photos

Chinhae or Jinhae... it does not matter how you spell it, this little town is the focal point of the Cherry Blossom craze in Korea. It has also been the site of an Annual Cherry Blossom Festival since ~1962.

The reason for all the cherry trees in this area is not simply due to southern location and hospitable climate, it is more closely associated to the location of the Korean Naval base and the ties it holds to the Japanese (who imported all the blossoms). Read more in my General Tip for more.

The festival is in late March / April / early May depending on the spring weather (The current year schedule will be determined in January/February of the same year). According to Korea Times, "Jinhae is known to be the only place in the world where visitors can find more than 340,000 cherry blossoms in one city."

More info: http://eng.jinhae.go.kr/02/03_01_02.asp
(available Korean, English, Chinese, Japanese)

Jinhae is about an hour west of Busan and about 15 minutes south of Changwon.

For more of my personal thoughts about my time spent on the peninsula, visit my S Korea page.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my S Korea Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

• Pros:The beauty and quantity of cherry blossoms is amazing.
  • Cons:Spring and blooming of the blossoms is extremely busy, traffic and hotels are a problem.
  • In a nutshell:Relatively quiet the rest of the year, its a pilgrimage site during the spring bloom.
  • Intro Updated Dec 4, 2013

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I was going to say that the photo reminded me of Japan. Great pics usual.

DSwede

“What I lack in experience, I make up for in curiosity”

Badges & Stats in Chinhae

Have you been to Chinhae?