"The far southwest of Korea" Mokp'o by DSwede
Mokp'o Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 4 photos
Mokpo is a sizable, yet sleepy city on the extreme southwestern corner of Korea. It has had a colorful past as being a major Korean city, a Japanese colonial city during their occupation, an invasion site by the North Koreans, etc. It is now a relatively quiet area having slowed its growth from the 1970's onward.
Historically, it was a site of great naval importance. It was home to Yi-Sun-shin during the Imjin War. It was one of the larger cities in Korea up to the 1970's, but declined in relative size, arguably due to some domestic politics and related policies.
It is gateway to several islands whose waters are fished by locals but lands make up among other things, Dadohae Haesang National Park.
Mokpo is relatively quiet all year, but essential closed during the winter.
For more information on Mokpo and what there is to do here, visit:
For some more general thoughts, please visit my S Korea page.
(for more pictures, feel free to visit my S Korea Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)
- Pros:Its just far enough away that you won't have to compete with (foreign) tourists.
- Cons:I found myself struggling for things to do after a couple days.
- In a nutshell:Mokpo is about as far as you can get and still be in Korea. Historically its an agricultural and fishing town, but has grown.
In my opinion, Yudal Beach is only worthy of a short visit. It is small and rather unimpressive. But on a hot day, there... more travel advice
DSwede's Related Pages
Mokp'o Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mokp'o
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Mokp'o?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mokp'o
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niterói Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asunción Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- South Korea Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 17 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada Intro, 6 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salvador Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 15 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Incline Village Intro, 17 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue