"NARITA - Aviation crossroads" Top 5 Page for this destination Narita by tiabunna

Narita Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 286 photos

Tokyo’s major international airport created quite a stir locally when it was developed in the 1980s. Despite farmers’ protests, the airport went ahead and now is one of the world’s major aviation crossroads. The little rural town of Narita has been subsumed into a tangle of bitumen, concrete and expressways.

Although that may apply locally, as our JAL 747 approached the airport, I was fascinated to see the tiny pocket-sized rice paddies covering nearly all the countryside. What was not being used for agriculture or housing was used for golf courses: I have never seen so many, all looking beautifully landscaped with ample trees around them. Sadly, although the view was interesting, digital gadgets (including cameras) are not allowed at that stage of the flight, so my description will have to suffice.

A stopover at an airport, with or without an overnight stay at an airport hotel, scarcely seems the basis for a VT page. But, should you find yourself transiting Tokyo, I’d like to think the tips with this page may be helpful.

The Narita stopover comfortably breaks what is a very long voyage for travellers between Europe and Oceania and gets the time-zone changes out of the way before (or after), leaving a trip north or south along the same time zone for the balance. A short break at Narita seems to minimise the effects of jet lag. The route via Japan also is a very interesting travel option with no more flying time than the more common routes.

I should add that the hotel at Narita Airport contained brochures for sights in Narita township – sadly, my itinerary did not allow a visit.

• In a nutshell:Quite an enjoyable stopover
  • Last visit to Narita: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 2, 2006

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Hi George, Long Time , no contact, reading your home page I was looking for new tips from your recent Asia trip, no luck. Let me know when new pages arrive.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I've been here before I see, but the old grey matter lets us down at times. Seriously considering this for my next trip to Europe. leyle

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 5:32 AM

Really helpful information about Narita! I wish all major airports had tourist friendly day facilities such as Osaka and Narita!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Ah! Smart travellers take advantage of facilities offered at airports and by airlines; many airports do not have the facilities like Narita. Well done, George.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 4:48 AM

OMG I wish Kong Kong had the sleeping facility. We are travelling Monday (10 of us) with 2 small children. Spending 6 hrs at HK waiting for connection. The children will suffer, (me too)

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2009 at 12:57 AM

George- a very good idea, this info about airport. It sounds fantastic. Somewhere more comfortable to rest than on a bench in the waiting area! And free hotel overnight! Perfect.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Interesting info here though I hope if I manage a stopover or a visit here one day it will be for long enough to get out and see some of Japan!(particularly the cherry blossoms hey!)

• stevemt's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2008 at 3:03 PM

I had the same overnight stay but at the raddison hotel. enjoyable, and I got a 1/2 day in Narita itself as my flight left in the afternoon. An interesting town.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 8:55 AM

The information about the "day room" is fascinating and helpful. What a great group of tips to help travelers.

• Acirfa's Profile Photo