Vienna Hotel Tips by tiabunna
Vienna Hotels: 134,766 reviews and 654 photos
I found the Hotel Kolbeck (Photo 1) by trawling through seemingly endless accommodation websites. What were my criteria? Essentially, a place that was clean, comfortable, well-run, with breakfast and preferably free internet, and at about the two star price range. It also needed to be convenient to shops, restaurants and transport to the city. (Those are my usual starting point – NB: your needs and priorities may be different).
I’m glad to say that the Kolbeck admirably met our criteria. It also had very pleasant staff. The one small negative, which I’d discerned from my web-searches was that, being in an older (1848) building it had no lift: climbing the stairs to our second floor room was not onerous and probably did us both good!
Because of our airline flight we arrived at 0800 – long before any possible check-in. Murat, the gentleman on the counter, kindly took our bags into the luggage room, offered us breakfast (we’d just had some at the airport, so declined), then gave us a map and an excellent briefing on getting about using Vienna’s public transport system.
Our double room (which overlooked the pedestrianised plaza alongside) was fairly plain but newly-refurbished, spotlessly clean, with a good ensuite and reasonably quiet (Photos 2,3). Breakfast (which we enjoyed outdoors when possible)(Photo 4) was quite reasonable, and all our other criteria were well-met: restaurants and shops aplenty were nearby, the tram passes the door and the main metro line into the city was about 200 metres distant. I should note that this is more a “working/retail” rather than a “tourist/upmarket” area, but it always felt respectable, safe and comfortable.
Unique Qualities: Free internet (with quite good speeds, but only one computer) is available to residents on a ‘shared’ basis.
The reception area (Photo 5) has a distinctly old-world charm and a small display of memorabilia about the hotel, which has been run by the same family/family company for over a century, plus a photo of Franz Kolbeck who was founder in 1903.
The ultimate test: would we stay there again? Definitely.
Address: Laxenburgerstrasse 19, 1100 Wien
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: FINDING IT: about 500 metres south of Sudbahnhof on Laxenburgerstrasse and facing Columbusplatz, tram line 0; Keplerplatz 200 metres metro line U1.
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: +43 (1) 604 1773
More Reviews (45)
- See All The Augustinerkirche
- See All Street buskers
- See All Meeting a squirrel!
- Can you bear it?
- See All Wienerwald Restaurant
tiabunna's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "WALTZ INTO VIENNA!"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 46 Reviews
- 178 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
- updated a Vienna Travel Page "VIENNA – to be savoured slowly"
- Posted in Travel Antarctica Forum "Re: AM I CRAZY?"
- Commented on one of victorwkf's Vienna travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "A wandering penguin"
- Wrote a Review The Augustinerkirche about Augustinerkirche - St. Augustine's Church in Vienna Things to Do
Photos in ViennaSee All Photos (178)
Read real reviews about Vienna Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (67)
- Schönbrunn Palace- 304 Reviews, 624 Photos
- Belvedere Palace & Gardens- 180 Reviews, 345 Photos
- Hofburg Palace Complex- 264 Reviews, 587 Photos
- Stephansdom - St. Stephen's Cathedral- 256 Reviews, 533 Photos
- Wiener Staatsoper - State Opera House- 104 Reviews, 194 Photos
- Karlskirche - St Charles Church- 100 Reviews, 188 Photos
- Kunsthistorisches Museum - History Museum- 80 Reviews, 210 Photos
- Wiener Riesenrad - Giant Ferris Wheel- 68 Reviews, 111 Photos
- Hundertwasserhaus- 130 Reviews, 273 Photos
- Grinzing- 15 Reviews, 30 Photos
See All Vienna Things to Do