"VIENNA – to be savoured slowly" Vienna by tiabunna
Vienna Travel Guide: 7,358 reviews and 18,228 photos
“Has Vienna got through to you yet?” my friend Katherine asked. Well no, at that stage it hadn’t, though I was quite enjoying myself.
My wife and I both had our own “must see” interests before our visit, derived from enjoyable memories of films and television. Pauline wanted to visit St Stephan’s Cathedral, which features in the opening credits of the TV series “Inspector Rex” (produced in Austria as “Kommisar Rex”) about a super smart police dog. For my part, I’d always associated Vienna with the classic 1949 film “The Third Man” – not to mention the haunting theme played on a zither by Anton Karas. During our visit we satisfied those particular priorities, and many more besides.
I’m unsure where Vienna did ”get to” me, but I’d guess somewhere between the “Terracotta Army” and the Rathaus (City Hall). Maybe it was the Kunsthistorisches Museum? In any case, Pauline now declares that Vienna is her favourite city and I’d have to say that, putting aside the “tourist tinsel”, it is a remarkably impressive place and also a strong contender for my “favourite city”.
So what makes it tick? Probably the surprisingly unified baroque charm, interspersed with occasional flashes of gothic. Add to that a lot of history, some great museums and an unbeatable musical heritage, plus friendly people and charming streets, and it’s a hard combination to top! And yet – and yet …. if asked for the single “top highlight” of our visit, I’m not too sure that the invading Terracotta Army of the great Emperor Qin Shi Huang of ancient China (like us, there only briefly), didn’t steal the show for me!
There’s much that we didn’t see on this visit, but as we’ve said before, that leads to the great standby excuse for another trip: Next Time!.
NB. "Updates" of 3 Dec 07 are only spelling/typo corrections.
- Pros:A charming city
- Cons:Just be aware that there are some “large city” risks
- In a nutshell:We’re looking forward to returning some day
Strictly speaking, this 14th century church is part of the Hofburg complex. Originally Gothic, it was converted to... more travel advice
As you wander around the Ringstrasse from the Kunsthistorisches Museum to the Rathaus, you’ll pass the Austrian... more travel advice
- See All Meeting a squirrel!
- Can you bear it?
- See All Wienerwald Restaurant
- The cultural dunny!
- See All The airport bus
tiabunna's Related Pages
Vienna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My birthplace & the place where I feel at home !"
- "VIENNA, AUSTRIA ~ MUSIC IS IN THE AIR !"
- "VIENNA AND THE PASSION OF ART"
- "Vienna and its never-ending history"
- "Just More then Mozart, Strauss und Sacher torte"
- "Still a city of dreams"
- "Rainy day in Vienna 2006, sunny in 2013"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vienna
- Hotels in Vienna
- Transportation in Vienna
- Nightlife in Vienna
- Restaurants in Vienna
- Shopping in Vienna
- Warnings and Dangers in Vienna
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vienna
- 46 Reviews
- 178 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vienna
- Posted in Travel Arctic Forum "Re: Liveable?"
- Commented on one of victorwkf's Vienna travel pages
- updated a Vienna Travel Page "VIENNA – to be savoured slowly"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A wandering penguin"
- Wrote a Review The Augustinerkirche about Augustinerkirche - Church of the Augustines in Vienna Things to Do
Photos in ViennaSee All Photos (178)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
Latest Vienna hotel reviews
- Pension Christina
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- The Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna Hotel
- 521 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Austria Classic Hotel Nordbahn
- 269 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Etap Hotel Wien Sankt Marx
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Eventhotel Pyramide Austria Trend
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Konig Von Ungarn
- 209 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Beethoven
- 246 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- NH Danube City
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Pension Nossek
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 2, 2013
- Hotel Capri
- 379 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Park Inn Uno City Vienna
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Radisson Sas Palais Hotel
- 349 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Pension Pertschy
- 195 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hotel Stefanie
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Le Meridien Wien
- 1050 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013