"Kakadu and Arnhem Land with "VT Survivor"" Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park by tiabunna
Kakadu National Park Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 991 photos
There?s only one way to begin some stories (LOL).
Once upon a time, for nine days a group of twelve assorted VTers and partners travelled on a camping tour called ?VT Survivor? but which became something like the "Trip of a Lifetime? for the participants. With them they took two lumbering Landcruisers, a number of Virtual Attendees, a mountain of food, water, camping gear and luggage, and a trailer for all the bits that wouldn?t otherwise fit. Oh, and two curious travel mascots, a penguin and a German bear.
Zig (aka 1+1 in VT) had volunteered at the 2007 Perth VT meeting to arrange this trip. In the outback parlance, any kind of group is called ?a mob?. So ?Zig?s Mob? was conceived. Word gets around in the bush and Zig is well known, so that became our collective identity during our travels. Zig himself (and I hope this description doesn?t embarrass him) is a true ?bushie? with a deep affinity with the Aboriginal culture. He also is a long time Ranger at the Kakadu National Park and has an encylopaedic knowledge of the ?Top End?. For our trip he combined the roles of Pied Piper, Peter Pan, teacher and guide: we were in excellent hands and were fortunate to experience far more than would be possible on any conventional tour. I guess the request from several participants, as we returned to Darwin, sums up the success: ?Can?t we just refill the fuel tanks, top up the food and do it all again??
Before we go any further, I must tell you who was on the trip. From the left in this photo, Mrs tiabunna; tiabunna; Mr adelaidean; rosie235; Mr kiwi; Gillybob; kiwi (front); aussirose; Mr aussirose; 1+1; adelaidean; feelingfabulous
And where did we go? The photo was taken back in Darwin after our return and the map in the middle shows our route, which I?ve highlighted with red spots. Starting from Darwin on the left, we headed out toward the east into the Kakadu National Park, then turned north into Arnhem Land. After a detour to Mt Borradaile we continued as far north as it?s possible to drive, up the Cobourg Peninsula. A few idyllic days there passed quickly and we headed south again to visit more of the Kakadu National Park, before continuing to our most southerly point at Adelaide River which is on the main road. Then we again travelled OTBP to some points along the Ghan railway, before again joining the main road and returning to Darwin. Maybe it doesn?t sound much, and it may not look far on the map, but we travelled 2500km on this trip! I'll add separate pages for our travels outside Arnhem Land and Kakadu
You also might care to visit the pages on this trip prepared by Aussirose (who also has some great video footage); Rosie235 who has some hilarious video footage; and Kiwi with some great photo galleries - but I reckon her heading photo (and added titles) is a classic.
NB - because Arnhem Land is somewhat more difficult to visit than Kakadu National Park, I have included the 'to dos' for it as "Off The Beaten Path".*
- In a nutshell:A marvellous and unforgettable trip
I can't claim to be expert on Aboriginal society. Relatively few 'whitefellers' can make that claim. Fortunately Zig (VT... more travel advice
. That?s a good question! Unfortunately there are no commercial flights to Jabiru or to the Cobourg Peninsula part of... more travel advice
- See All Nowhere much else ...
- See All Little fish in streams
- See All Koolpin Gorge ? Swimming with crocs
tiabunna's Related Pages
Kakadu National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kakadu and Arnhem Land with "VT Survivor""
- "Kakadu National Park"
- "VT Darwin Survivor Outback Trip 2008"
- "Magnificent Wetlands - Birdlife, Crocodiles"
- "Kakadu National Park - Australia's Best"
- "Kakadu National Park"
- "Kakadu National Park - A Special Place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kakadu National Park
- Hotels in Kakadu National Park
- Transportation in Kakadu National Park
- Restaurants in Kakadu National Park
- Shopping in Kakadu National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kakadu National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kakadu National Park
- 34 Reviews
- 161 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Kakadu National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kakadu National Park
- updated a Kakadu National Park Travel Page "Kakadu and Arnhem Land with "VT Survivor""
- Posted in Travel Antarctica Forum "Re: AM I CRAZY?"
- Wrote a Review A little about Aboriginal society in Kakadu National Park Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "A little about Aboriginal society"
- Commented on one of aussirose's Kakadu National Park travel pages
Photos in Kakadu National ParkSee All Photos (161)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos