"Batemans Bay" Top 5 Page for this destination Batemans Bay by tiabunna
Batemans Bay Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 128 photos
One of the nice things about writing is that you can place yourself anywhere at any time. So let’s start off on the deck of HMS Endeavour under the command of Lt. James Cook, on 22 April 1770.
A few days before, after crossing the Pacific Ocean, the ship had reached the eastern coast of what now is Australia and, turning northwards to follow it, the good Captain had begun mapping. Maps just don’t look much more convincing than a wavy line unless there is some detail, so he needed some place names. About a day earlier he had named Mt Dromedary, a short distance inland from the coast, because that made its rounded camel-like hump easily identifiable for future mariners. Now he was passing a wide V shaped bay with some small islands in it. I can imagine him looking at a list of names of luminaries, dignitaries and fellow naval officers intended for posterity as place names, before placing a tick alongside the name of Captain Nathaniel Bateman, under whom he had served several years previously. I am unsure if he also named the Tollgate Islands in front of the bay, but it seems likely. Although it should have appeared a reasonable place for a landing, he continued sailing northward.
Timber cutters reached the area in the early 1800s following the founding of the colony in New South Wales. Apparently one boat was attacked by the local Aboriginals, but in general the area developed quietly with agriculture, fishing and timber logging the main industries. As with much of coastal New South Wales, road transport was primitive with unsealed roads and ferries across rivers until the 1950s. Finally the Princes Highway to Sydney and Melbourne was sealed, bridges were built. Maybe most importantly for “the Bay”, up the range the National Capital, Canberra, began to grow and this was the nearest beachside area. Which is why, when the hordes of holidaymakers come down from the hills, “the Bay” sometimes is rather unkindly called “Little-Canberra-by-the-Sea”. What would Cook have thought of that as a name on his map?
More to come – this will be a ‘work in progress for some time.
Yes, folk, it’s true! The World has come to Batemans Bay. Well, to expand on that just a little, the luxury cruise ship The World made a stopover at the Bay late in December 2009. Great excitement all around, because this is not part of the usual route, in fact it seems only one cruise ship has ever before visited and that was 15 years ago – though the Bay was formerly a port on the old coastal shipping service.
- Pros:Pleasantly quiet beachside area on a spectacular coastline
- Cons:Can become crowded in holiday periods
- In a nutshell:Well, it offered enough for us to move here.
Should you actually stay in the Batemans Bay area, rather than just passing through, chances are that you’ll have an... more travel advice
Photo 1 OTP: from our table, looking upstream Photo 2 OTP: from our table, toward the bridge Photo 3 Our entrée Photo 4... more travel advice
tiabunna's Related Pages
Batemans Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "EUROBODALLA COAST - BATEMANS BAY"
- "Batemans Bay"
- "Batemans Bay"
- "Where I now live..."
- "Murramarang Resort near Batemans Bay"
- "Sleepy town on the Bay"
- "BATEMANS BAY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Batemans Bay
- Hotels in Batemans Bay
- Transportation in Batemans Bay
- Restaurants in Batemans Bay
- Shopping in Batemans Bay
- Warnings and Dangers in Batemans Bay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Batemans Bay
- 9 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Batemans Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Batemans Bay
Photos in Batemans BaySee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos