"BEGA spells 'cheese'" Bega by tiabunna

Bega Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 16 photos

Until the 1950s, the agricultural regions of the NSW south coast were not linked by useable roads, because of the tangle of foothills extending from the Great Dividing Range to the coast. The area is good for dairying, but milk could not be taken to major markets because of the lack of daily transport – the only transport was by small coastal steamers. The answer was to turn the milk into more easily stored cheese or, to a lesser extent, into butter.

The district had numerous cheese factories during the 1920s, as is shown by the pins on the map in the photo. Over the years, with improving roads, the industry consolidated at the Bega cheese factory which is still proudly operating as a locally owned co-operative of dairy farmers. It is one of Australia's major cheese producers and also exports, mainly to SE Asia.

Bega, with a population of about 4500, is the main commercial centre in the far southeast coast area of NSW. It remains a centre for local industry, rather than a tourist destination. In the photo of the chart, the areas shaded in either green or grey are State Forests and National Parks: timber also is an important industry.

• Last visit to Bega: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 16, 2006

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2009 at 1:23 AM

So this is where our delicious cheese comes from. Cheese & orchids- what an interesting combination

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Oh yes, can I have some cheese please :-)) Love the orchids :-)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM

a lovely thing about bushwalking in Oz is coming across pretty native orchids!nice to see yr pics. I have driven thru Bega but next time Id visit yr cheese centre here!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 8:57 AM

As a "flower lover", I really enjoyed your travelogue. Also, I'm an avid fan of cheese, so the cheese-tasting was quite interesting and entertaining for me.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Yes, I like the idea of a cheese-tasting holiday. Nice orchid photos in your travelogue.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 9:57 PM

I like both cheese and orchids but if I must chose, I will taste cheese better than orchids! Beautiful page!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2006 at 4:32 PM

Great shots of orchids in travelogue. It sounds to be interesting little off the beaten path place.

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2006 at 12:44 PM

That's a nice page becouse I like all kinds of flowers, but most of them i like orchids.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2006 at 11:22 AM

Stuck out of the way in the foothills, this sounds like an interesting little spot! Some very nice looking orchids in your T'logue - I remember an orchid society in Port Moresby who were nuts over the things!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2006 at 6:16 AM

Enlarged for a close view of the tiny orchid. Think I can see a tiny dot on the left?? My favorites are the native at the beginning and the red ones. Wondering how you get your name to print on the pics???? My white orchids are opening one by one, daily.

tiabunna