"Braidwood" Braidwood by tiabunna
Braidwood Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 236 photos
It would be somewhat remiss not to have a travel page on our 'local' town, just up the road a little. So this is a start - from here, it's likely to continue as a 'work in progress' with additions from time to time.
So, where is Braidwood? You'll find it on the King's Highway, roughly half way between Canberra and Bateman's Bay on the coast, and 80 km south of Goulburn. It's about 300km south west of Sydney. The town has a population of about 1100 and is 600M above sea level.
The first European settlement in Braidwood was in the 1820s, which makes it older than most Australian capital cities! Cattle and sheep properties were established in the 1820s and 1830s, but life around here was pretty quiet until gold was found in 1851. Then the town and surrounding villages expanded rapidly. Eventually the gold ran out and the area reverted back to being a centre for primary industries, mainly beef cattle.
The area has more than its share of history. The champion racehorse 'Archer' (winner of the first two Melbourne Cup races in the 1850s) came from this area. Following the goldrush, in the 1860s, fast horses were also a key requirement for the bushrangers, most notably the Clarke Brothers and their gang, who created considerable problems in the district. Interestingly, "bushrangers" returned in the 1960s, when the film "Ned Kelly" was made here, starring Mick Jagger (unlikely as it may seem!).
Today the town is notable for its nineteenth century buildings, from grand country estates to workers' cottages and various public buildings. The town is listed by the National Trust and recently became the first entire town in New South Wales to be given State Heritage Listing by the State Government. It is a popular stop for motorists travelling between Canberra and the coast. The town also is known for its annual "Hanging of the Quilts" weekend - I now have added a travelogue of photos from the 2006 event.
New 'to do' and restaurant tips added February 2008.
The surrounding area takes in the Shoalhaven River valley and surrounding mountains, much of which are National Parks. Visiting some of the scenic attractions of the area is well worthwhile, either as a motoring tour or as bushwalks. For more information on Braidwood and district, this is the local tourist office website.
- Pros:Pleasant, scenic and historic town.
- Cons:But the bright lights are few and far between.
- In a nutshell:Quiet but comfortable
Braidwood has more operating churches (3) than pubs (only 2 of those), which may show what a God-fearing community this... more travel advice
As you enter Braidwood on the main road from the north, you turn right into the main street, Wallace Street, then ascend... more travel advice
tiabunna's Related Pages
Braidwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Braidwood - Historical Town of New South Wales"
- "FULL OF HISTORIC BUILDINGS - THIS IS BRAIDWOOD"
- "Chilly Braidwood"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Braidwood
- Hotels in Braidwood
- Transportation in Braidwood
- Restaurants in Braidwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Braidwood
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Braidwood
- 18 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 49 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Braidwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Braidwood
Photos in BraidwoodSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos