Canberra Favorite Tips by tiabunna Top 5 Page for this destination
Canberra Favorites: 78 reviews and 89 photos
The 'Parliamentary Triangle' identified
Favorite thing: Walter Burley Griffin originated this term, which refers to the area between Parliament House and the lake, flanked by Commonwealth Avenue on the west and Kings Avenue to the east. As a visitor, it is important that you should understand that the buildings here are entirely of national significance - they are here for the nation and in general have no more relevance to the daily life of a typical Canberran than they do for someone from elsewhere. Although there are some office blocks (eg Treasury Department), most are more 'visitor oriented'. But if you see just this area you have not 'seen Canberra'. The area remains under the control of the Commonwealth Government's National Capital Authority, rather than of the ACT Government.
Most newer buildings here were the winners of architectural design contests. I suspect that says much about modern architecture! I am not an architect, so the following descriptions are simply my 'take' on the styles. The pre-war buildings such as Old Parliament House have art-deco style, the 1950s office blocks reflect the 'Stalinist' style of that period, the National Library from the 1960s is retro-classical. Things go downhill with the High Court and National Gallery of the 1980s, which can best be described as 'concrete brutalism'. But however ugly you may find the exteriors of some buildings, the interiors usually are more interesting and are worth visiting.
Hey fellow Aussies, come and look around and feel a bit proud of what's in this area. Rembember that this isn't here just for Canberra and its residents, this (and the War Memorial) is yours: the national bit of the National Capital. Then move a bit wider and see the rest of it.
Fondest memory: Main photo: Parliamentary Triangle from above, with labels - National Library (A); Office Blocks (B1,B2); New Parliament House (C); Old Parliament House (D); 'Questacon' (E).
Second photo: Treasury Office building in 1950s 'Stalinist' style
Third : map of the area, showing position where main photo was taken and direction.
Drawing of plan by Marion Burley-Griffin
Favorite thing: The city design competion was won by an American, Walter Burley Griffin, whose plan featured a central lake, concentric road systems surrounding smaller hilltops, and long avenues giving vistas between major points of interest. Although Griffin's plan was not followed exactly, and Canberra has long since outgrown the original area, it remains the only fully planned city in Australia and one of the few in the world. It is now proof, if any was needed, of the merits of good planning.
In the illustration, drawn by Burley Griffin's wife, the light area at right top is Mt Ainslie.
More Reviews (58)
- See All The National Portrait Gallery
- See All Canberra District wineries
- See All Out of this world?
- See All Licensed Clubs
- One of the few choices in Tuggeranong
tiabunna's Related Pages
Canberra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful, immoral, tempting and terribly ........"
- "CANBERRA - Aboriginal for "MEETING PLACE""
- "The Bush Capital..or..a good sheep paddock wasted?"
- "A Capital Idea"
- "Canberra Our Home"
- "A Capital City in the Middle of Nowhere"
- "CANBERRA, WE KEEP COMING BACK HERE!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canberra
- Hotels in Canberra
- Transportation in Canberra
- Nightlife in Canberra
- Restaurants in Canberra
- Shopping in Canberra
- Warnings and Dangers in Canberra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canberra
- 60 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 48 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Canberra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canberra
- Posted in Travel Antarctica Forum "Re: AM I CRAZY?"
- Commented on one of tiabunna's Canberra travel pages
- updated a Canberra Travel Page "The Bush Capital..or..a good sheep paddock wasted?"
- Wrote a Review The National Portrait Gallery about National Portrait Gallery in Canberra Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The National Portrait Gallery"
Photos in CanberraSee All Photos (150)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
- Australian War Memorial- 58 Reviews, 113 Photos
- New Parliament House- 51 Reviews, 114 Photos
- Cockington Green- 17 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Black Mountain - Telstra Tower- 18 Reviews, 26 Photos
- ANZAC Parade- 31 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Embassy Tour- 12 Reviews, 21 Photos
- National Museum of Australia- 22 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Old Parliament House - MOADOPH- 27 Reviews, 65 Photos
- Lake Burley Griffin- 14 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Royal Australian Mint- 9 Reviews, 23 Photos
See All Canberra Things to Do