"The Bush Capital..or..a good sheep paddock wasted?" Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra by tiabunna

Canberra Travel Guide: 929 reviews and 2,523 photos

An overview

Australians have an ambivalent view of our National Capital: of national and civic pride from those who actually know it; of derision from people who consider it 'boring' (presumably because either they do not understand it or because it is not noisy, crowded, congested and polluted like other cities); and of contempt from those who see it as simply a politicians' paradise. If you are a visitor to our shores, how can you be expected to make sense of these conflicting viewpoints? We lived in Canberra for many years and strongly endorse the first option - it is a beautiful and very liveable city. Do visit with an open mind, and make the effort to understand a slightly different place. NB though that the city spreads. The distances within the Parliamentary Triangle (see tip) are suitable for walking but I recommend that you have some form of transport for any further travels.

Some background

A short explanatory background is needed. Rivalries between Australia's colonies necessitated a new and 'neutral' capital city following federation (1901). Its site had to meet certain conditions: it had to be somewhere between Sydney and Melbourne but one of the other requirements was to be beyond the range of naval gunfire (which seems quaint these days)! Finally, the area was chosen in 1908. The Australian Capital Territory was inaugurated in 1911 and an international competition was held to design the city, which was officially founded and named Canberra on 12 March 1913 (still a yearly local holiday Canberra Day).

Unfortunately, from the start, politicians of all parties set out to score cheap points with their local electorates at the expense of Canberra, as sections of the media also sometimes do when news is short. One of the earliest and most original lines came from the marvellously named King O'Malley MP, who was instrumental in choosing the site but declared that it would be a good sheep paddock wasted.

And now?

Over the years, because of its setting and because of extensive tree plantings, Canberra has often been known (in an affectionate way) as The Bush Capital. There now are many more trees than when it was 'a sheep paddock' , though that proved a liability when bushfires ravaged suburbs and destroyed about 500 houses in 2003. We had previously retired to a rural lifestyle some 60km from Canberra, but were staggered by the volume of smoke which blackened the sky at our property.

Apart from its own merits, Canberra's central siting makes it an ideal base for trips to adjacent towns and areas. I shall try to give some idea of possible tours and travel times in the accompanying tips - I strongly recommend that you start from the 'General' tips to help you understand the city. For now, may I suggest you start planning a visit - you will be doing yourself a favour.

Update 6 April 2009 to add a new "To Do" tip on the National Portrait Gallery, now in its own new building.

• Pros:Australia can be proud of its National Capital
  • Cons:I liked it better when it was smaller (but that's just me)
  • In a nutshell:Still a capital city to live in or to visit
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2009

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM

We will be in Canberra for a couple of days this month...my son lives there.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
      Jun 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Well, I hope I've given you a few ideas here on things to do. :) In June you should have a good chance of fine weather - but the finer it is the more likelihood of frosts and/or fog followed by clear days and cool weather. Have a good time.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2010 at 1:03 PM

I was looking at a map and noticed you sure are dry down that way. Greta presentation of the area and its wonderful sites.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2009 at 6:32 AM

River corridor pic was just featured on front page of VT !!

• missionman's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Best not to speed..never been caught by an Aussie speed trap..........

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Oct 06. An outstanding page, very informative! Your embassies tips are excellent and I enjoyed the old merry-go-round. The Botanic Garden looks very appealing as well as the retail market! Aug 09. Interesting updates especially the National Museum.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Im amazed that there are so many things here to make so many tips about! My mother and I enjoyed a drive around this 'pretty' city, went up the hill for views and took pics of P.House and that was pretty much it...!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2009 at 12:01 AM

George- I have started on your extensive Canberra tips- excellent so far, as usual. I prefer the old Parliament building.Also- that Kangaroo warning tip is worth noting. I shall return here soon,

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Hi George, I didnt know that Canberra is a such a beautiful city that much.Thank you for that great page. Tips and photos are great too. greetings from Turkey.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I hope you don't mind me adding you to my list of flowers? :)

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Nice tips, I am always attracted to the restaurant tips.

tiabunna Visits Here Frequently!

tiabunna

“Do it while you can”

Badges & Stats in Canberra

Have you been to Canberra?