"COWRA an ‘International’ Aussie town" Cowra by tiabunna
Cowra Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 86 photos
Cowra was just another typical comfortable small Australian country town. Then came the Second World War and a night that forever changed it and led the town in far from typical directions.
Cowra is situated on the inland slopes of central New South Wales, approximately 300 km west of Sydney. Canowindra (pronounced Ca-noun-dra) is a little over 30 km to the north of Cowra. Both have a similar climate, with chilly winter nights and frequently hot summer days - and usually fine weather (too much so at present, as the area was deep in drought when we visited). The area is agricultural with sheep and cattle grazing, and cropping of various kinds: wheat is the most extensively and traditionally grown, but other crops and activities such as oilseeds, vineyards and olive groves have developed in recent years. All of which sounds fairly typical for many places.
Cowra’s defining moment came in the dark early hours of 5 August 1944, when Japanese Prisoners-of-War broke from the local POW camp and attacked their guards in what was the only land battle fought in Australia during WW2. This was the largest POW escape anywhere in modern history. Hundreds died, atoning for what they considered the disgrace of being captives, as did four Australian servicemen. The subsequent reconciliation with Japan has profoundly influenced the town and it now is an international peace centre.
- Pros:A very pleasant and inspiring place
- Cons:None, really
- In a nutshell:Well worth a visit of several days
What’s the little fellow in the main photo doing? The hint is given by what is in his hand: a stuffed easter... more travel advice
Most Australian country towns have a local community museum. These museums usually: are run by local volunteer... more travel advice
tiabunna's Related Pages
Cowra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "COWRA an ‘International’ Aussie town"
- "COWRA .....NEW SOUTH WALES"
- "Cowra, NSW"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cowra
- Hotels in Cowra
- Transportation in Cowra
- Restaurants in Cowra
- Shopping in Cowra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cowra
- 19 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Cowra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cowra
Photos in CowraSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos