"DARWIN AND DISTRICT" Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin by tiabunna
Darwin Travel Guide: 690 reviews and 2,090 photos
In September 1839, Lieutenant John Stokes, on the HMS Beagle, named Port Darwin after the young scientist who earlier had travelled around the world with him on the ship (yep, the very Charles Darwin who identified evolution). The ship itself was commemorated with the name of the adjacent Beagle Gulf. It should be added that although Stokes liked the harbour, he described the adjacent country as “most thirsty looking” bushland, with a monotonous mangrove-lined shore and clouds of mosquitos. Maybe he didn’t look closely enough to see the crocodiles also there!
Back in the 1800s establishing Australia’s most northerly city, still the only one on over 5500 km of coastline between Cairns and Perth, proved difficult. It since has faced some hard times (see “General” tips - which I suggest you visit before reading the other tips) but now boasts a population of over 100,000. I also should add that the extent of its urban sprawl makes Australia’s other sprawling cities seem relatively compact in comparison!
Driven by a resources boom and tourism, the city is undergoing a rush of development. I’d also rank it as the most multicultural of all Australia’s cities, with a mixture of people of all shades and hordes of backpackers and other tourists from around the world. Not surprisingly, all this has led to an explosion of both the number and diversity of restaurants and food outlets: it would be absurd to compare Darwin with Singapore, but the combination of a food fixation and tropical climate certainly creates some similarities! Should you be heading there, as with other Australian cities, the real gems are to be found in the places 'around' rather than 'in' the city.
Located just over 12 degrees from the equator, the climate is very tropical with only two defined seasons: a monsoonal “Wet” and “Dry”. Most tourists visit during the “Dry” - as did we, for the Australasian 2008 VT Meeting and the special “VT Survivor” trip. I’ve put some travelogues of photos from the Darwin VT meeting with this page – I’ll also add some for the “VT Survivor” trip on a Kakadu page (though that will have to await our return from another trip). For now, would you care to wander with me through my Darwin page to find out more?
- Pros:A resilient city
- Cons:It has needed to be!
- In a nutshell:A pleasant relaxing place – most of the time!
Maybe you’d care to see some crocodiles “in the wild” – without getting too “up close and personal’? This trip is for... more travel advice
After our planning meeting for the VT Survivor trip, we urgently needed food – we’d already had some drink… just... more travel advice
- See All Don’t upset the Rangers!
- See All Catered lunch @ Berry Springs
- See All Museum and Gallery of the Northern...
- Hire your camping gear here
tiabunna's Related Pages
Darwin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Darwin (where i live and now my home) 1997 -"
- "DARWIN AND DISTRICT"
- "Northwest Darwin"
- "Crocodylus Park"
- "Capital City Of Australia's Northern Territory"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Darwin
- Hotels in Darwin
- Transportation in Darwin
- Nightlife in Darwin
- Restaurants in Darwin
- Shopping in Darwin
- Warnings and Dangers in Darwin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Darwin
- 38 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Darwin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Darwin
Photos in DarwinSee All Photos (151)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos