"The Gippsland Lakes - and surrounding areas" Gippsland Lakes by tiabunna

Gippsland Lakes Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 17 photos

The Gippsland Lakes are one of those marvellous and little-appreciated parts of Australia – by other Australians, let alone overseas visitors! I’d even go so far as to suggest they are virtually unknown outside Victoria. Because the lakes are one of the defining features of East Gippsland (a region of eastern Victoria larger than many European countries, but without a ‘VT destination’ heading) I propose to broaden this page to encompass some of the adjacent area.

The Lakes, which are some 270km east of Melbourne, cover a distance of a little over 80km east to west and are the largest permanent lake system in Australia. (If you are unfamiliar with Australia, but have seen the large inland lakes on the map, it’s important to realise that those are anything but permanent, usually they are just large salt pans). The Gippsland Lakes are surrounded by dairy farm country, large forests, interesting little beachside villages, quiet rivers, and are fringed on the ocean side by the “90 mile beach”.

We have driven past the lakes many times and, some years back, had a delightful week on a chartered yacht there with our now-grown children. As we drove through the area recently, we (again) promised ourselves another holiday there some time Real Soon Now. I’ve managed to find some old photos taken on our sailing trip (unfortunately, mainly video taken at that time) and took a few more on our recent drive-through: as I turn up more I shall add to this page, otherwise it will have to wait for that planned holiday!

• Pros:Another lovely and largely unspoiled area
  • Cons:Not for those who feel a need for bright lights, theme parks and glitz
  • In a nutshell:A very pleasant area for an enjoyable beachside holiday
  • Last visit to Gippsland Lakes: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2006

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I am doing some 'homework' because we intend returning from Adelaide through Victoria. Ii wonder if this area is possible to see?I will look at our travel atlas.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Hey George, although your 90 mile beach is only 144 km long you win. Our 90 mile beach in NZ is only 90 km long ;-) And guess to which tree group I belong as a koala lover... ;-) Have a great day, Sissi

• Jun 18, 2008 at 8:33 PM

a part of australia i have yet to explore. although, knowing my crazy wild self, i think the gippsland lakes might be a tad too quiet for my liking! still, a place to note for the future! :)

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Looks wonderful! Thanks for the tips and photos. Best from New Jersey, Bill

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2008 at 10:31 PM

This is indeed an unexpected (and apparently unusual) figure of Australia that you give here! That looks really nice!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Looks inviting. I've been doing some research on Oz and the locations described in your pages are now familiar to me from the map :))

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 11:29 PM

We were actually heading for Lakes Entrance when we were seduced by the charm of Port Albert. A return trip is definitely on the cards. leyle

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Gippsland is not unknown to me as there is the offshore Gippsland basin in the Bass strait. Your Gippsland is much more interesting , George; I like that kind of quiet place and, yes a yacht tour would be nice despite I am not at all a sailor!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 11:49 AM

I've passed through Lakes Entrance many a time - a great place for some fish & chips by the lake : )

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2007 at 4:40 AM

Great tips on gippsland! When I was at victoria years ago, i did not visit this place as it was not along the way, maybe next time :)

tiabunna

“Do it while you can”

Badges & Stats in Gippsland Lakes

Have you been to Gippsland Lakes?