"The Gippsland Lakes - and surrounding areas" Gippsland Lakes by tiabunna
Gippsland Lakes Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 17 photos
The Gippsland Lakes are one of those marvellous and little-appreciated parts of Australia – by other Australians, let alone overseas visitors! I’d even go so far as to suggest they are virtually unknown outside Victoria. Because the lakes are one of the defining features of East Gippsland (a region of eastern Victoria larger than many European countries, but without a ‘VT destination’ heading) I propose to broaden this page to encompass some of the adjacent area.
The Lakes, which are some 270km east of Melbourne, cover a distance of a little over 80km east to west and are the largest permanent lake system in Australia. (If you are unfamiliar with Australia, but have seen the large inland lakes on the map, it’s important to realise that those are anything but permanent, usually they are just large salt pans). The Gippsland Lakes are surrounded by dairy farm country, large forests, interesting little beachside villages, quiet rivers, and are fringed on the ocean side by the “90 mile beach”.
We have driven past the lakes many times and, some years back, had a delightful week on a chartered yacht there with our now-grown children. As we drove through the area recently, we (again) promised ourselves another holiday there some time Real Soon Now. I’ve managed to find some old photos taken on our sailing trip (unfortunately, mainly video taken at that time) and took a few more on our recent drive-through: as I turn up more I shall add to this page, otherwise it will have to wait for that planned holiday!
- Pros:Another lovely and largely unspoiled area
- Cons:Not for those who feel a need for bright lights, theme parks and glitz
- In a nutshell:A very pleasant area for an enjoyable beachside holiday
The railway formerly ran as far as the little town of Orbost, somewhat to the east of the Gippsland Lakes. Although it... more travel advice
Long ago, ocean levels rose after the last ice age, forming Bass Strait. Prevailing winds and ocean currents then... more travel advice
tiabunna's Related Pages
Gippsland Lakes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gippsland Lakes - and surrounding areas"
- "90 Mile Beach & Gippsland Lakes"
- "Gippsland Lakes - Vic - Australia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gippsland Lakes
- Hotels in Gippsland Lakes
- Restaurants in Gippsland Lakes
- Warnings and Dangers in Gippsland Lakes
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gippsland Lakes
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Gippsland Lakes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gippsland Lakes
Photos in Gippsland LakesSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos