"GOULBURN - thirsty town" Goulburn by tiabunna

Goulburn Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 184 photos

I shall revisit this page at some future time to add details on what is a quite historic and pleasant town. I've been prompted to create the page now by discussions in VT about water restrictions.

Goulburn isn't normally a particularly dry place, but the drought which began in the late 1990s in eastern Australia has created a particularly severe water shortage there - to the extent that the dams essentially are dry. That meant the introduction of Stage 5 water restrictions from 1 October 2004. These involve a ban on all outdoor use of water and a request that household use be kept under a target of 150 litres per person daily. As far as I am aware, Goulburn is (to date) the only Australian city which has needed to go to this stage of water usage limitations.

• Pros:Pleasant country town
  • Cons:But very dry at present
  • Intro Updated Jan 3, 2007

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Dry place. . . I know few of them in Middle east. . . :))) I need less than 150 liters and can spare some to brew some beer:))

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Almost a desert !

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2007 at 7:22 AM

looking forward to your tips about this place which i know quite well

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2007 at 2:24 AM

Actually I hadn't noticed any discussions in VT about water restrictions (maybe I don't read the proper forums?) but I think it's important to point this out. Let us know when it rains there!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2007 at 3:36 AM

My goodness !! I wish I could send some rain ! Sounds quite bad ! And I don't know what to say.

tiabunna

“Do it while you can”

Badges & Stats in Goulburn

Have you been to Goulburn?

Latest Activity in Goulburn