"The shadow of Gondwana lingers longer at Monga" Monga by tiabunna

Monga Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 62 photos

I can only say that I’m suitably amazed to find VT includes Monga as a destination, because only with an extremely good map of New South Wales will you find it!

Having said that, the question is whether you should add it to your list of ‘must visit’ destinations for your visit to Australia. If, like about 90% of overseas visitors, you are prepared to accept that you have seen Australia after visiting Sydney, Ayers Rock and the Barrier Reef, then this is not the destination for you! If, on the other hand, you prefer quiet forests to crowded city canyons, relish antique landscapes and rare shrubbery, then yes, read on…

And, when you drive to Monga, drive on! Monga itself is the remnant of a sawmilling village, just a cluster of a few houses adjacent to a derelict sawmill and a scattering of rusting truck bodies. Monga is private property and you are expected to continue through – when you do, you will find yourself heading into the Monga National Park. And that is what this little page is about.

By way of background, this National Park was created only a year or so back from what, previously, had been State Forest used for logging. The Monga National Park was not gained easily, only extended protest action by environmental groups saved these old-growth forests from a probable alternative fate as woodchips. Although we live a relatively short distance away, until recently we had not visited – but we shall be returning.

• Pros:Quite different
  • Cons:Sadly, there has been past damage
  • In a nutshell:For those happy to travel slowly
  • Last visit to Monga: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 29, 2008

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM

The feeling of being in more remote area must be a treat and too bad so much tree cutting of old times

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 7:58 AM

You've certainly got the history of the forest down pat! A shady walk, indeed. We have similar moss to the one you picture here...in dense woods, under pine.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2009 at 7:05 AM

Thanks for this gem of a page. Seeing those photos was deja-vu for me. There are similar forests & vegetation in coastal forest areas of South Africa, with giant tree ferns. Love tha picnic area at Mongarlowe River. Another one for my list.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 4:24 AM

This page is certainly a breath of fresh air. It looks so lovely and green. I can only imagine how enjoyable it was to hike here.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Isn’t Gondwana beautiful? I felt the fresh air under the leaves, reading your page George! Reminds me the (too short) rain forest trail in the Canberra Botanical Garden. Beautiful page. Btw, thanks for the link about Ediacara.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Fantastic George!!! Most magic forest!! Yes, I would love to see this, even if I am not allowed to stay at night. Oh, I hope you don't mind that I've added this to my non-top 5 destinations :-)

• Sep 21, 2008 at 2:47 AM

Being that I am a passionate hiker, the Monga National Park appears to be right up my alley. Combining this with the presence of a sawmill, an old relic of Australian labor, Monga is my ideal destination.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 12:39 AM

an interestig page with great pics of the beauty of Nature there, it is always again fascinating to see nature in such a variety ! Thanks for sharing, George !

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2008 at 8:54 AM

Very interesting page and a place that you don't quite associate with how I picture Australia. It almost seems as if no other person has ever been there. Nice work!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Very nice page! Yes, it happens very often when we don't visit places which we live a short distance away while dreaming about places which are far away (for example in Australia, haha!). Thanks George for sharing!

tiabunna