"The shadow of Gondwana lingers longer at Monga" Monga by tiabunna
Monga Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 62 photos
I can only say that I’m suitably amazed to find VT includes Monga as a destination, because only with an extremely good map of New South Wales will you find it!
Having said that, the question is whether you should add it to your list of ‘must visit’ destinations for your visit to Australia. If, like about 90% of overseas visitors, you are prepared to accept that you have seen Australia after visiting Sydney, Ayers Rock and the Barrier Reef, then this is not the destination for you! If, on the other hand, you prefer quiet forests to crowded city canyons, relish antique landscapes and rare shrubbery, then yes, read on…
And, when you drive to Monga, drive on! Monga itself is the remnant of a sawmilling village, just a cluster of a few houses adjacent to a derelict sawmill and a scattering of rusting truck bodies. Monga is private property and you are expected to continue through – when you do, you will find yourself heading into the Monga National Park. And that is what this little page is about.
By way of background, this National Park was created only a year or so back from what, previously, had been State Forest used for logging. The Monga National Park was not gained easily, only extended protest action by environmental groups saved these old-growth forests from a probable alternative fate as woodchips. Although we live a relatively short distance away, until recently we had not visited – but we shall be returning.
- Pros:Quite different
- Cons:Sadly, there has been past damage
- In a nutshell:For those happy to travel slowly
Not all local customs are to be recommended. Let’s have another look at tree ferns. They’re very popular features in... more travel advice
It’s an easy walk of just a hundred or so metres from the picnic area to the banks of the Mongarlowe River. It’s a... more travel advice
tiabunna's Related Pages
Monga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The shadow of Gondwana lingers longer at Monga"
- "Monga National Park - A Journey Back In Time"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monga
- Hotels in Monga
- Transportation in Monga
- Restaurants in Monga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monga
- 10 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Monga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monga
Photos in MongaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos