"There’s more to Moruya….." Moruya by tiabunna
Moruya Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 50 photos
Moruya began as a farming centre, but also grew as the port for the goldfields inland at Araluen and Nerrigundah. It was officially proclaimed a town in 1851. Later, as with many of these small coastal towns, dairying became a major industry, as did quarrying. And, although both Narooma to the south and Bateman’s Bay to the north have grown larger than Moruya’s population of 6500, largely due to retirees moving to the beach, Moruya remains an important administrative centre and the headquarters of the local Shire Council.
All of which is interesting background, but what about the town would interest a traveller? Well, there are some pleasant beaches nearby, an interesting local history, and Moruya is a good base for travels around the south coast area between Bateman’s Bay and Bermagui. What’s more, and unusually in an Australian country town, there are some interesting examples of street art. Why not browse through the ‘tips’ and learn more. By the way, the name is pronounced Murooya (the ‘u’ as in ‘hut’) and is derived from an Aboriginal word meaning ‘Home of the Black Swan’.
- Pros:An enjoyable country town near the beach
- Cons:But not on the beach
- In a nutshell:An engaging stopover on the NSW South Coast
This tip takes you to the former goldmining village of Nerrigundah. To get there, head 25km down the Princes Highway to... more travel advice
Should you find yourself passing through Moruya, it is an interesting exercise to locate and photograph the pole... more travel advice
Written May 4, 2006
Moruya Pole Carvings (1)
Written May 4, 2006
Moruya Pole Carvings (2)
tiabunna's Related Pages
Moruya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "There’s more to Moruya….."
- "A Flying Visit to Moruya"
- "Moruya Day Trip"
- "MORUYA...STH'N ...NEW SOUTH WALES"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moruya
- 10 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Moruya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moruya
Photos in MoruyaSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos