"There’s more to Moruya….." Moruya by tiabunna

Moruya Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 50 photos

Moruya began as a farming centre, but also grew as the port for the goldfields inland at Araluen and Nerrigundah. It was officially proclaimed a town in 1851. Later, as with many of these small coastal towns, dairying became a major industry, as did quarrying. And, although both Narooma to the south and Bateman’s Bay to the north have grown larger than Moruya’s population of 6500, largely due to retirees moving to the beach, Moruya remains an important administrative centre and the headquarters of the local Shire Council.

All of which is interesting background, but what about the town would interest a traveller? Well, there are some pleasant beaches nearby, an interesting local history, and Moruya is a good base for travels around the south coast area between Bateman’s Bay and Bermagui. What’s more, and unusually in an Australian country town, there are some interesting examples of street art. Why not browse through the ‘tips’ and learn more. By the way, the name is pronounced Murooya (the ‘u’ as in ‘hut’) and is derived from an Aboriginal word meaning ‘Home of the Black Swan’.

• Pros:An enjoyable country town near the beach
  • Cons:But not on the beach
  • In a nutshell:An engaging stopover on the NSW South Coast
  • Last visit to Moruya: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2006

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Nice page, George.Wonder how the name 'mudmap' evolved?Regarding bushranger & trooper story- seems not much has changes regarding our law enforcement lol! Still chaotic shootouts here & there.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 9:43 PM

I like the pole carvings and I agree with you, the pelagic fish is the best! I like also the second aboriginal man! Mudmap, I like that word!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Fascinating information about the pole carving. I have not heard of Moruya before so I'm glad to learn about it through your detailed, informative, and very interesting tips.

• chrissy_11's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2007 at 1:04 AM

Always loved going to Nerrigundah.....don't know why, just something about the atmosphere....

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2007 at 3:13 PM

I remember someone telling me about the Clarke Bros once, now, who would that have been........ Have a great trip O/S

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2007 at 1:03 AM

Thanks George for virtual travel to ‘Home of the Black Swan’! Now I have a map to find pole carvings for myself (I have quite understood your hint - treasures are buried under them (:-) )). I'm running to buy a ticket to Australia just now!)Thanks!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Nice blue granite instead of grey or pink the poles look interesting & the mud mad a great choice of words

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2006 at 7:13 PM

Nice page George Carvings indeed look very nice Nice Golfcourse as well I hope you get to use that Golfcourse George

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2006 at 6:34 AM

Never heard of a 'mudmap' and I'm an Aussie! I have obviously been away for too long ; )

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2006 at 11:23 PM

These carvings look exceptional ! Ahh, George, your writings are fantastic !! I like your humour so much and had some good laughs, on the spelling and the education of non-Aussies :-)) smiles and sunshine from here :-)

tiabunna