"THE DANDENONG RANGES" Mount Dandenong by tiabunna
Mount Dandenong Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 91 photos
From the city area of Melbourne, the hills to the east are not particularly obvious: as with most Australian mountain ranges, they tend to be lowish and rounded. Since public transport (think trains) made them reasonably accessible from the city, back in the 1870s, they have been a popular destination for city dwellers needing a respite from the city.
Over the years, the suburbs have spread to the foot of the ranges, small villages developed, tourism became important, in the 1920s the area became popular with artists. Much of the giant eucalypt forests which once attracted loggers now (thankfully) have been preserved as the Mt Dandenong National Park. With motor cars, tourism in the area became an easy day trip. Houses, mostly hidden by trees, now dot those areas outside the National Park, and gardens proliferate. When we visited, huge rhododendrons (as in the heading photo) were adding additional splashes of colour.
Back in the 1930s, guest houses were popular in Australia. One such guest house, now revitalised as a reception centre, was the venue for our son’s wedding – and that was what brought us back to this charming area, for the first time in many years.
- Pros:Near Melbourne
- Cons:Near Melbourne (can become crowded)
- In a nutshell:A pleasant area
Oh, the difficulty of deciding whether to place this tip in “General” or under “Shopping” or even “Tourist Traps”!... more travel advice
Tucked away in a sidestreet at Olinda, you’ll find Pie in the Sky. If Vienna has its hot dogs, the USA hamburgers, then... more travel advice
tiabunna's Related Pages
Mount Dandenong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE DANDENONG RANGES"
- "Another Chilly trip out of Melbourne!"
- "A feeling as much as a destination"
- "Sherbrook Picnic Grounds"
- "This is going to be my Dandenong Ranges page"
- "Dandenong Ranges Victoria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Dandenong
- Hotels in Mount Dandenong
- Transportation in Mount Dandenong
- Restaurants in Mount Dandenong
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Dandenong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Dandenong
- 9 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Mount Dandenong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Dandenong
Photos in Mount DandenongSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos