"Murwillumbah and the Border Ranges" Top 5 Page for this destination Murwillumbah by tiabunna

Murwillumbah Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 71 photos

After finding the drive north from Coffs Harbour to Brisbane absolutely infuriating (scenic, but narrow, congested and infested with revenue-raising fixed speed cameras), by the time we were near the state border we felt the need for an alternative to the highly touristic Gold Coast, even though the road had improved. A change of direction through Murwillumbah proved the ideal solution.

Murwillumbah (another of those Aussie names – the will is pronounced wool) is situated on the Tweed River and has always been the administrative centre for the district, with industries based on sugar, bananas, timber and dairying. The Pacific Highway once passed through but now bypasses it: and, in general, so does rampant development. The soils are rich, the rainfall high, and Murwillumbah quietly goes its way. Not far away, as “Gold Coast-style development” proceeds, you will find subdivisions galore along the coast, highrise buildings popping up, and little fishing villages which are being transformed into ‘big money’ growth centres.

What cannot be ignored is the landscape-dominating 1160 metre peak of Mount Warning, the extinct core of a giant volcano. Murwillumbah is smack in the core of that volcano’s caldera, the largest in the southern hemisphere and one of the world’s largest. The surrounding ranges are the former crater walls, topped by lava flows which extend north to Mt Tamborine in Queensland. Don’t worry, it hasn’t fired for over 20 million years.

So come with me for an alternative route to Brisbane, bypassing the Gold Coast and taking in some magnificent scenery and national parks.

• Pros:Scenic, sometimes spectacular
  • Cons:Also sleepy, sometimes steamy in summer
  • In a nutshell:If nature appeals more than theme parks and glitz, this is for you
  • Intro Updated Nov 2, 2006

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Hi George, thank you for this wonderful page! Sadly, I missed both Murwillumbah and Springbrook NP on both of my trips to Australia, although they had been planned both times... Maybe during a future visit :-) I am happy that I could enjoy the places on your page - fabulous text and pictures that make me miss Australia even more!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2010 at 1:32 PM

A long time I did not make a visit down Under! As usual I enjoyed your descriptions of these off beaten paths areas George. I would live to walk in the Springbrook forets.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I continue to search the varied and wonderful places in the country. The Tweed River must have created the town growth here. You did, again a splendid job of pictures and comments.

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Incredible landscapes. Yes to climb or not to climb . . . now I am curious about the aboriginal's warning. I will add the Border Ranges to my trip to Australia. Thanks

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 5:38 AM

To climb or not to climb...that is the question. Incredible tips. Thank you for such a wonderful tour.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Wonderfulinformative page and tips, George. I loved the tip about the strangler fig!This is such a beautiful area. Must get there!!!(We saw wonderful old steam locos at Railway Museum in New Delhi- have a look at pics)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Superb steam engine ! Your photos are really appealing! I like especially the Physignathus lesueurii lesueurii!!

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2008 at 10:52 PM

With a name like “Murwillumbah” it’s got to be in Australia lol. The Jacaranda festival must be wonderful.A Rainforest & a Queenslander house surrounded by cane, this is all good stuff.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2007 at 6:54 AM

What an interesting page!! Looks a lovely part of the world, shame certain types have to spoil things.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Lovely town with unpronouncable name :-)) Even Jacarandas - I like these very much (from SouthAmerica). Ah Springbrook looks gorgeous and I am sure, Nobby would like to say hello to the dragon :-))

tiabunna

“Do it while you can”

Badges & Stats in Murwillumbah

Have you been to Murwillumbah?

Latest Activity in Murwillumbah