"St Helens and the Bay of Fires" Saint Helens by tiabunna

Saint Helens Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 81 photos

Ranked World's No 1 for 2009

During our midwinter jaunt to the Island State (Tasmania, to you people overseas) we had a short stay at St Helens, in the north-east corner. We’d been there before and it’s one of our favourite spots in Tassie: scenic, quiet, comfortable, and with generally lower rainfall and milder temperatures than most of the State. Even so, it was rainy and overcast for much of our stay and cleared only as we were leaving.

St Helens started in the mid-1800s as a whaling port, but that industry has long since ceased, as has its role as a port for shipping locally mined tin. How times change: today, in season, you might well be able to go whale-watching on one of the many boats based in the harbour!

Gradually, it’s beginning to dawn on the rest of the world what a really great area this is. Being ‘off the beaten path’ has helped, so far, to keep the crowds at bay. But a year or so back, the UK magazine Condé Nast let out the secret and decreed that the adjacent Bay of Fires had the world’s second best beaches. I have now read a news report in the UK Times On Line that the Lonely Planet guide is to list the Bay of Fires as the World’s Number 1 Destination in its annual “Blue List” of the World’s Top 10 Destinations for 2009!

So read all about it here, then when your neighbours or workmates talk about the Bay of Fires and maybe wonder where it is, you can give them the details! LOL

• Pros:A very pleasant beachside town in an area with lovely beaches
  • Cons:A little OTBP and maybe too quiet for those who prefer bright lights
  • In a nutshell:Well, as it’s being rated WORLD #1, what more can I say!
  • Last visit to Saint Helens: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Hi George, nice to see you online. Have you got any plans for travels to this part of the world? Glad to hear you found a beautiful place called George's Bay. Fine photos and texts here. Sounds like a great place to visit, even in the winter.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Hi George- what a pity that this secret is out! It looks exquisite. Loved the flat-tyre 4wheel drive story! Beautiful photos too. I reckon there should be a few more places named after you ...your tips are so good. Hugs

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I don't know if these beaches are the most beautiful but for sure very photogenic. Nice start for my virtual trip around Australia. Oh! another black madonna here: Binalong Bay Madonna looks more welcoming :-))) thanks for sharing :-)

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 6:14 AM

Hi george, tasmania is one destination which I would love to visit one day :-) Btw, how's the preparation for the moving of your home?

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 2:40 AM

I had to finish my trip in Tasmania; George’s Bay. . . wonderful place:))) Tasmania looks really enjoyable and I’m sure I ‘d love the beaches in winter: fishing in the cold waters and barbecue my catch (Is this possible?). I enjoyed this tour George.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM

St Helen's and its beaches look really enchanting. What ios it about the name St Helen and coastal towns ? There are loads of them. I really enjoyed this taste of Tasmania :))

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 7:12 PM

There;s no excuse for soggy chips! I really must get down to Tasmania some day. Nice page, nice beaches, shame about that insensitive hotel planning. leyle

• Nov 20, 2008 at 4:36 AM

Saint Helens appears to be an excellent coastal town. Personally, I love the coastal setting & all of the delightful characteristics that go along with it: scenery, water, food, wildlife, etc.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2008 at 11:34 PM

Oh lovely, I am falling in love with these beaches :-)) Such a fine sand, such an outstanding blue water! Thank you George to take me to this fine place before I dip back into reality here :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2008 at 9:58 PM

At first, I felt it was a page on Napoleon St Helen's! This looks indeed like a dream destination and I hope it will remain almost in its present condition! Great photos!

tiabunna

“Do it while you can”

Badges & Stats in Saint Helens

Have you been to Saint Helens?

Latest Activity in Saint Helens