"St Helens and the Bay of Fires" Saint Helens by tiabunna
Saint Helens Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 81 photos
During our midwinter jaunt to the Island State (Tasmania, to you people overseas) we had a short stay at St Helens, in the north-east corner. We’d been there before and it’s one of our favourite spots in Tassie: scenic, quiet, comfortable, and with generally lower rainfall and milder temperatures than most of the State. Even so, it was rainy and overcast for much of our stay and cleared only as we were leaving.
St Helens started in the mid-1800s as a whaling port, but that industry has long since ceased, as has its role as a port for shipping locally mined tin. How times change: today, in season, you might well be able to go whale-watching on one of the many boats based in the harbour!
Gradually, it’s beginning to dawn on the rest of the world what a really great area this is. Being ‘off the beaten path’ has helped, so far, to keep the crowds at bay. But a year or so back, the UK magazine Condé Nast let out the secret and decreed that the adjacent Bay of Fires had the world’s second best beaches. I have now read a news report in the UK Times On Line that the Lonely Planet guide is to list the Bay of Fires as the World’s Number 1 Destination in its annual “Blue List” of the World’s Top 10 Destinations for 2009!
So read all about it here, then when your neighbours or workmates talk about the Bay of Fires and maybe wonder where it is, you can give them the details! LOL
- Pros:A very pleasant beachside town in an area with lovely beaches
- Cons:A little OTBP and maybe too quiet for those who prefer bright lights
- In a nutshell:Well, as it’s being rated WORLD #1, what more can I say!
Photo 1 Sandbank near Scamander Photo 2 Beach and picnic area at Scamander Photo 3 ‘Chancellor Inn, Scamander Beach’... more travel advice
Photo 1 Sign and scrub in the coastal protection area Photo 2 Dunes in the coastal protection area Photo 3 Dunes in the... more travel advice
tiabunna's Related Pages
Saint Helens Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St Helens and the Bay of Fires"
- "GAME FISHING CAPITAL OF TASMANIA"
- "St Helen's to Freycinet pages"
- "Stunning white beach of Bay of Fires"
- "TASMANIA..ST.HELENS..BAY OF FIRES.."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Helens
- Hotels in Saint Helens
- Transportation in Saint Helens
- Restaurants in Saint Helens
- Shopping in Saint Helens
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Helens
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Helens
- 10 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Saint Helens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Helens
- Posted in Travel Arctic Forum "Re: Liveable?"
- updated a Saint Helens Travel Page "St Helens and the Bay of Fires"
- Wrote a Review Further afield – Scamander area in Saint Helens Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Further afield – Scamander area"
- Commented on one of DennyP's Saint Helens travel pages
Photos in Saint HelensSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Latest Saint Helens hotel reviews
- The Anchor Wheel Motel
- 1 Review & Opinion