"Tarago - typical hamlet" Tarago by tiabunna
Tarago Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
OK, in Australia we don't usually call the small places 'hamlets' (which is what they are), or even 'villages'. Come to a point, we usually just say 'it's a little place down past ...'. Whatever it's called though, Tarago is pretty much typical of the many smaller places you'll pass through as you drive around rural Australia.
Usually these little places involve dropping speed to comply with a change of speed limits, then are forgotten as quickly as they appeared. Blink and you've missed them. But, although they differ in their backgrounds I thought it might be interesing to have a look at one such place. I'd like to think it might encourage you to wonder about some of the little hamlet
s you pass through in your travels: if it does, this page will have been worthwhile.
So spare a moment from your speeding through the main roads of VT and slow down a little to read a bit more about this relatively obscure byway.
First of all, notice the very wide road in the main photo? You'll see wide streets like that in many Australian towns: back when the streets were developed, they had to be wide enough to turn bullock teams. Down there on the left hand side is a building with a green roof. That is the "Town Hall" - not in the usual sense of "council chambers", rather it is the community hall for events of various kinds. Hang around for a bit, there's more in the 'tips'.
Oh yes, Australian readers might recognise the name, it was 'copied' for a people-mover vehicle made by Toyota. There is a difference though in the pronunciation - this is pronounced with the two 'a's short as in 'cat' or 'hat', not with the second lengthened as in 'far'.
Updated January 2008 with a new 'local customs' tip and travelogue
- Pros:At least it's still there, unlike many small places which have disappeared.
- In a nutshell:Fairly typical of many small places in Australia
Tarago holds its annual agricultural show in January every year. You usually will find multitudinous horse-related... more travel advice
It's nearly certain that you will travel through Tarago by road, but the railway does pass through here and the... more travel advice
tiabunna's Related Pages
Tarago Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tarago
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Tarago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarago
Photos in TaragoSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos