"Toowoomba" Top 5 Page for this destination Toowoomba by tiabunna

Toowoomba Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 277 photos

"The garden city"

Toowoomba is Queensland’s largest inland city, with a population of a little under 100,000. You will find it about 1.5 hours’ drive west of Brisbane on the top of the Great Dividing Range, at the eastern side of the Darling Downs, for which it is the main administrative centre.

For many years, the annual Carnival of Flowers has been Toowoomba’s main tourist attraction. That extends even as far back as my primary school days, when my teacher (who must have visited) came up with the clever notion that our weekend homework should consist of an essay about the Carnival of Flowers. Now, my knowledge of flowers extends little beyond the ‘cauli’ variety and, at that stage, I had never been to Toowoomba. I had a dilemma on my hands! Luckily my Dad came to the rescue and said “I’ll write something for you”. So he produced some waffling prose about rows of golden daffodils swaying in the breeze, with petunias and roses sprinkled all over, giving a magnificent effect that dazzled the eyes of beholders. Something to that effect, anyway. I happily copied it, took it to school and handed it in. A day or so later, when Dad asked how my essay had been received, I showed him the teacher’s note: ”George, you can do better than this”! LOL The teacher obviously twigged what had happened and had a sense of humour, but I think we all learned a lesson from the exercise – the teacher didn’t set such obtuse essay subjects after that, I didn’t approach my Dad to do my homework essays, and it became a family joke.

I’ve since passed through Toowoomba many times, but until now I’d never stayed there. Even this trip was simply overnight, but it was enough to indicate that, at some time, we should allow enough time to look around a little more. And, if we do it in September, I might just get to see the Carnival of Flowers. Then, at last, I will be able to write a genuine essay (call it a VT tip) about the event.

• Pros:A summer visit can be an escape the coastal heat
  • Cons:But it may be too quiet for some people
  • In a nutshell:Pleasant large regional town
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2008

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2009 at 9:10 PM

That Carnival of flowers must be something! The White Horse is impressive!

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Hi George,Looks like a beautiful place. I loved the look out, parks buildings & classic Fords. Nice page, Nancy : )

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Wow, what a name - Towoomba - and, lol, it has a Chinese restaurant too...Australia is so huge...so much to see just like the USA...Norman :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2009 at 6:44 PM

You will have to visit during the carnival of flowers, the council and home gardens are magnificent.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2009 at 12:17 PM

an interesting page, thanks for sharing, George ! I wish you a happy New Year 2009 and lots of great travels !

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Hi george, another great page of australia! Wish you and pauline merry christmas & happy new year!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2008 at 2:46 AM

Thanks George for showing us a city with such unusual name (never heard about it before!). I'd like you might visit and see the Carnival of Flowers!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2008 at 4:24 AM

the Chinese restaurant still has No1 stronghold for Aussie country towns!here its curry!T. was a frequent work place for me&then drive thru spot..in my beloved XDFordFalcon fromCarnarvon,Springsure&Blackall where I lived4a few yrs(b4 mySydney niche!)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2008 at 1:55 PM

Quick-thinking mother in that Chinese restaurant! I'll be looking forward to your "genuine essay" about the Carnival of Flowers.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2008 at 10:19 PM

This is a nice and funny page :-)) So where is your essay about the Carnival of Flowers? These views are amazing! Ah, and I bet you thought of having come with your 4CV to join these Ford cars :-)

tiabunna

“Do it while you can”

Badges & Stats in Toowoomba

Have you been to Toowoomba?

Latest Activity in Toowoomba