"Le Puy-en-Velay … or just Le Puy to most!" Top 5 Page for this destination Le Puy-en-Velay by tiabunna
Le Puy-en-Velay Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 265 photos
This page was upgraded with better quality photo scans 27 Feb 2007
During our drive around France we were very keen to visit a B&B whch featured working husky teams, high in the Massif Centrale. Fortuitously, that led us to Le Puy. It’s only a small town by European standards (about 20,000), but worth the visit. The town gains its name from the Puys, the name given in the local Occitan language to a series of ancient volcanic plugs. There are quite a few in the area, including that on which the town is centred. Quite apart from any geological interest, most are surmounted by religious buildings – not least an enormous Pink Madonna. Look carefully in the heading photo and you should see her centred in the distance, above the town. Another place where I wish we’d had a digital camera!
The history of Le Puy dates back to Roman times. It’s more modern form is well over 1000 years, with strong religious connections throughout that period – back in those days it was one of the main starting points for a 1600km pilgrimage. It also was visited many times over the aeons by French royalty, as far back as Charlemagne. Their visits are hardly surprising as, quite apart from any religious connections, the area is quite spectacular in its own right. It also seems hardly to be visited by tourists – as shown by the paucity of Virtual Tourist pages!
Le Puy once had a flourishing lace-making industry. Little lacemaking is left, though we did purchase a sample for Pauline. Agriculture now is the main industry in the area, with Le Puy being famous (in France, anyway) for its lentils.
- Pros:Spectacular and little-known
- Cons:If you aren’t fit, it’s all hills: maybe the fitness benefits are a positive!
- In a nutshell:A worthwhile detour 'from the beaten path'
This tip is really sequential to the accommodation tip on Les Bastides du Mézenc as it describes the activities after a... more travel advice
With the assistance of the tourist information office in Le Puy, we found a little chambre d’hôte (B&B) a few km from... more travel advice
tiabunna's Related Pages
Le Puy-en-Velay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bit of Orient. . . ."
- "Le Puy-en-Velay … or just Le Puy to most!"
- "RELIGION ABOUNDS IN LE-PUY-EN-VELAY"
- "A UNIQUE HISTORICAL PLACE"
- "UNESCO World Heritage Site in Le-Puy-en-Velay"
- "A mad train trip"
- "Le Puy en Velay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Hotels in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Restaurants in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Shopping in Le Puy-en-Velay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Le Puy-en-Velay
- 9 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Le Puy-en-Velay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Le Puy-en-Velay
- Posted in Travel Arctic Forum "Re: Liveable?"
- Commented on one of kokoryko's Le Puy-en-Velay travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Les Bastides du Mézenc – and huskies"
- updated a Le Puy-en-Velay Travel Page "Le Puy-en-Velay … or just Le Puy to most!"
- Wrote a Review Have a day with the dogs in Le Puy-en-Velay Sports & Outdoors
Photos in Le Puy-en-VelaySee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos