Paris Hotel Tips by tiabunna
Paris Hotels: 579,609 reviews and 2,186 photos
I found and selected the Plessis for my stay in Paris through extensive internet searching. I then made an internet booking, with my fingers tightly crossed. I’m pleased to say that it fully matched my expectations and I’m entirely happy to recommend it as excellent value for money. We subsequently had another pleasant stay there on a later trip.
IMPORTANT UPDATE July 2009. Through sheer idle curiousity, I have just looked up the Plessis on the internet, to check on the current prices. I was aghast to find that it now is no more - it appears to have changed hands and has been entirely refurbished as the Hotel Gabriel Paris-Marais. It has a four star rating, all looks very swish and upmarket, and claims to be the first hotel in Paris to feature a detox facility (whatever that is!). According to the website, Paris Match described it as "A totally new kind of hotel".
Unique Qualities: My earlier descriptions of the Plessis are now out of date. The Gabriel, as it now is, bears little relation to the former Plessis, which was a budget-priced two star hotel. None the less, the siting was one of the real attractions for me, and obviously remains the same. So, to continue with my earlier notes on siting: It is in the République area, on the north eastern side of the city area..... Importantly, there are excellent Metro connections (Oberkampf about 150 metres with 2 lines, République with 4 lines about 250 metres), ample convenient restaurants, supermarkets, and a laundromat nearby (turn R from the door, right at the first corner, and it’s just across the street).
My "satisfaction rating" below applies to the former Plessis - the new prices for the Gabriel are shown below and are outside my range. My photos are of the Plessis as it was - to see the butterfly which has emerged as the Gabriel, I'd suggest you look at the website below: leave your speakers on to listen to the relaxing ambient musical sounds which accompany it.
Address: 25 rue de Grand Prieuré, 75011 Paris.
Price Comparison: most expensive
Directions: From Place de la République, head up the Avenue of the same name for about 150 metres, then take the second street to the right (more of a laneway, but don't let that put you off): the Plessis is about 25 metres from the corner on the right.
Other Contact: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 01 47 00 13 38
Price: US$180 and up
We stayed in this two star hotel on our first visit to Paris in 1992. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the hotel was clean and well run, with quite a reasonable continental breakfast. The lift is tiny, but that seems the case in most of Paris - at least there is one! Traffic noise, which can be a problem in many Paris hotels, is nearly non-existent.
I didn’t stay here on my recent trip, partly because the cost was a little higher than some other two star hotels; partly because many of the rooms are quite tiny (and some are very odd shapes, one we had was wedge-shaped like a slice of cake, with the door at the narrow end); and partly because the Abesses Métro is served by only one line - I was intent on covering as much of Paris as possible with minimum transfers on the Métro.
Unique Qualities: The tranquil, romantic and post-cardish setting of place Emile Gordeau almost gives this hotel an air of unreality. Yes, there are good restaurants and shops just down the way and, although we heard that some parts of Montmartre can be problematical at night, during our stay we never felt even slightly uncomfortable in this vicinity.
If you are a first time Paris visitor, particularly if you place high priority on a romantic Parisian setting (and note the other comments above) , this hotel would be a good start for your experience of Paris.
Address: 20-22 Rue Ravignan
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: To reach the ‘place Emile Gordeau’, start from Métro Abesses heading west (ie with the church on your left), then turn right up rue Ravignan, the first street on your right, and begin the climb up the hill, crossing rue des Trois-Freres.
Phone: 01 42 55 74 78
More Reviews (77)
- See All Statue of Marshal Ney
- See All Trompe l’oeil paintings
- See All Paris by car at night
- See All Which way?
tiabunna's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "PARIS POUR LA CULTURE!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "The charm of Paris stays in its History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 79 Reviews
- 222 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 48 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (222)
Read real reviews about Paris Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 79 reviews, 222 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vienna Intro, 46 reviews, 178 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canberra Intro, 60 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kakadu National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darwin Intro, 38 reviews, 151 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 54 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 30 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Macquarie Island Intro, 29 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cowra Intro, 19 reviews, 75 photos
- Brisbane Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (67)
- Louvre- 798 Reviews, 1,596 Photos
- Eiffel Tower- 601 Reviews, 1,081 Photos
- Notre Dame de Paris- 653 Reviews, 1,338 Photos
- Arc de Triomphe- 403 Reviews, 715 Photos
- Montmartre Area- 213 Reviews, 410 Photos
- Sainte-Chapelle- 146 Reviews, 360 Photos
- Musee d'Orsay- 274 Reviews, 561 Photos
- Place de la Concorde- 168 Reviews, 326 Photos
- Latin Quarter- 47 Reviews, 107 Photos
- Catacombs- 56 Reviews, 106 Photos
See All Paris Things to Do