"NYC Alternative Hotel Location" East Rutherford by CristinaMIA

East Rutherford Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 11 photos

Why East Rutherford?

If you were like me, you are looking up East Rutherford to find out how close to New York City it is. I went to New York Memorial Day Weekend with a group of students. The prices in New York were too high for my friends who were trying to do the city on a budget. I really wasn't interested in staying in a hostel, I saw some scary pics on tripadvisor. So we found a great laternative, the Fairfield Inn in East Rutherford, NJ. Other hotels of the same caliber were 200.00/night, in the city, and substancially smaller than our room. We got a two double bed room and a roll away bed for 120.00. We all slept comfortably in the room and the hotel service was excellent. They served a continental breakfast (French Toast, Bagels, cereal, hard boiled eggs) and had a coffee bar open at all times (Free decaf and Regular coffee 24/7).

Distance to New York

Directly in front of our hotel was the busline. We would take bus 163 to the City. It was only 8 miles from the city. By bus the entire trip took about 20 minutes. The bus ticket cost us 3.10/ person. The last bus ran at 1:20 in the Morning from NY to East Rutherford. We simply told the bus driver each time we were returning to please call out when we were nearing the Fairfield Inn. The bus would drop us off int he Bus Port Authority. This was extremley convinent and was on 42nd street which was literally one block from times square. From here we could catch the subway easily. We could have driven into the city as well. At the Lincoln tunnel you pay a toll of about 6.00 and then parking is typically 12.00/12 hours on the weekend. We chose to take the bus so we didn't have to hastle with parking.

Other Things to do

I can't really tell you about East Rutherford. We really only stayed there for the hotel. The staff was great, the room was clean and the area was safe. I am a bit of a travel snob and I think that this hotel was a great value at only 114/night (pretaxes). It was convenient and I would definitely stay there again.

• Pros:Bus stops directly in front of hotel, Continental Breakfast until 10:00 AM, 24/7 Coffee Bar, Free Parking Outside, Key Card Hotel Entry after Hours
  • Cons:If you are driving in this can be a little tricky FOLLOW SIGNS CLOSELY. The easiest way to get lost is to miss the plank exit. If you are using mapquest, follow the milage to the T and you should be OK.
  • In a nutshell:Nice alternative to BIG CITY PRICES
  • Last visit to East Rutherford: May 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2006

Comments

CristinaMIA

“" Travel in Style "”

Badges & Stats in East Rutherford

Have you been to East Rutherford?

Latest Activity in East Rutherford