"My Impressions of Memphis" Memphis by sweetheart519
Memphis Travel Guide: 730 reviews and 1,675 photos
We went to Memphis to take our son, a huge Elvis fan, to Graceland. I can say that we very much enjoyed the Graceland tours! Other than that, my first impression of Memphis was that it seemed very rundown. I am from Dallas, supposedly a city with one of the highest crime rates in the country, and I actually felt much more nervous while in Memphis. So much so that I was afraid to walk around at times! I found a lot of racial segregation and tension there and was very uncomfortable. We had planned to stay 2 nights in Memphis but cut it short to only one night. Did I mention it was extremely humid and the heat was stifling?
I would stop in Memphis again only to see Graceland and eat at Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ!
- Pros:Graceland (for Elvis fans), great BBQ at the right restaurant
- Cons:rundown, dirty, felt unsafe
- In a nutshell:The only reason to go is to see Graceland
We are all big Elvis fans, so we really enjoyed this. There was just so much to see that I was totally Elvis'd out by... more travel advice
I'd just recommend that anyone visiting Memphis be sure stay alert when in certain parts of town. I just had a very... more travel advice
sweetheart519's Related Pages
Memphis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Hometown, USA, Memphis, Tennessee"
- "Home of the Blues & Birthplace of Rock 'n Roll"
- "Graceland, Music, and BBQ!"
- "Ducks, Grizzlies and Kings"
- "Down Home Memphis Hospitality & Pride"
- "The Three Kings of Memphis"
- "Memphis, Tennessee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Memphis
- Hotels in Memphis
- Transportation in Memphis
- Nightlife in Memphis
- Restaurants in Memphis
- Shopping in Memphis
- Warnings and Dangers in Memphis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Memphis
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Memphis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Memphis
- Nassau Intro, 16 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hot Springs Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Memphis Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.