"Beaver - Small Town America" Beaver by WinInZion
Beaver Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 17 photos
Beaver is located right on RT 15 about 100 miles North of St George. I'm guessing most people come to Beaver to fuel up, go to Cache Valley Cheese Factory or for access to the Paiute Trail/Fishlake N.F.
We came to access the National Forest and it worked out great. We were fortunate to pick July 4th for our visit and the town was celebrating "Butch Cassidy Days". The town park had a small festival, showed a movie one nite, car show on Sat and a fun band on Sat night.
The Elk Meadow Ski Resort is now closed. I don't think it's going to reopen anytime soon. Too bad, looked like a nice facility.
If you really want an off the beaten path few days here's an itinerary:
From Beaver go West on RT21 past Milford to the the Friso Ghost Town.
From Beaver go 30 miles North and Visit Cove Fort, built in 1867. This is staffed by the LDS and the tour was really nice.
East of Cove Fort a few miles is the Fremont Indian State Park. Many ancient drawings and a nice museum. A couple of easy hikes, too. We did this and Cove Fort the same day.
From Beaver go East on Rt 153 into the Fishlake NF. The road is paved up to Puffer Lake and graded gravel after that. You can loop on 153/137 but the second half can be rough.
Heading West on Rt 21 toward Great Basin NP you will come to the site of Frisco, an old mining town. A lot of this is now posted as private property so you can't access the actual site. You can check out the charcoal kilns and the cemetery, both interesting. There are a lot of side roads which I'm sure would be interesting to follow.
This fort was built in 1867, it took only 7 months to complete. Life had to be tough but the pioneers did some amazing things. If you're traveling that way and see a sign for this you should go. It takes about an hours out of your day and it's well worth it.
- Pros:Nice small town - Much to do within an hour
- Cons:Can't think of any
- In a nutshell:Nice place to spend a couple of days
We spent a few nights in Beaver and wanted something other than Mexican or fast food. We heard the pizza was pretty good... more travel advice
Go into town to fuel up. it was $.25/gallon cheaper at the Sinclair on the North end of Main St. more travel advice
WinInZion's Related Pages
Beaver Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beaver - on the way to Eagle Point Skiing !!!"
- "Beaver! The town with the unintentionally hilariou"
- "Beaver - Small Town America"
- "Basaic Beaver Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beaver
- Hotels in Beaver
- Transportation in Beaver
- Restaurants in Beaver
- Shopping in Beaver
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Beaver
- 6 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Beaver?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaver
Top 10 Pages
- Zion National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Kanab Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos
- Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Springdale Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Overton Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos
- Beaver Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos
- Moab Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Bluff Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Beaver hotel reviews
- Best Western Butch Cassidy Inn
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013