"Overton - Visit here from Las Vegas" Overton by WinInZion
Overton Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 53 photos
Ok, you've spent a couple of nites in Vegas and you need some fresh air. Rent a car and head out to Overton. A visit to Valley of Fire is a must if you love the outdoors. It's Red Rock, with arches and Indian petroglyphs.
There is also the newy resurfaced town of St Thomas. When Lake Mead was created they covered this old pioneer town. With the recent drought it has risen from the depths and even though there are no complete buildings it is a haunting place to visit. Warning: it is a very warm hike, this would be brutal in the Summer!
The most scenic way to access Valley of Fire would be to visit Hoover Dam and then drive the 70 or so miles here via North Shore Dr. You can also access it by taking Lake Mead Blvd East off Rt 15 or continuing north on RT 15 to the the Moapa exit.
There is a scenic drive thru the park, a very nice visitors center and a great little hike to Mouse's Tank. You can easily spend the day here. The petroglyphs are realy nice and are all along the hike to Mouse's Tank.
If you do the hike to Mouse's Tank at the end the trail turns left. If you continue a couple of hundred feet straight, you'll come to a small canyon on the right. Look up and you'll see a nice little arch. Pretty neat!
St Thomas, this is a rather short but hot hike to what, until recently, was the bottom of Lake Mead. The dirt road to the trailhead is accessed directly across from the East Entrance to Valley of Fire. This is easily done by passenger car.
As you walk among the ruins you can see where trees stood, you can visualize main street. We really enjoyed this and it was very strange to walk where people once lived, stand at the entrance to the school.
Warning: Tamarisks have taken over. These plants will cut you, shorts and sandlas would not be advisable!
- Pros:Great little town, surrounding area is awesome
- Cons:Off beaten track, you have to want to go
- In a nutshell:Give Vegas a break, visit Overton!
This is the perfect time to rent that convertible you always wanted. The drive from Vegas is beautiful and the air fresh... more travel advice
The desk clerk at the Best Western recommended Sugar's for breakfast. Seemed like a lot of locals eating here and the... more travel advice
WinInZion's Related Pages
Overton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Valley of Fire--Red Rock--Lost City"
- "Tim's Overton Page"
- "The Lost City Museum and Ruins"
- "Overton - Visit here from Las Vegas"
- "Small Town Big Charm - Gateway to Valley of Fire"
- ""Valley Of Fire State Park""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Overton
- Hotels in Overton
- Transportation in Overton
- Nightlife in Overton
- Restaurants in Overton
- Shopping in Overton
- Warnings and Dangers in Overton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Overton
- 6 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Overton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Overton
Top 10 Pages
- Zion National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 56 photos
- Kanab Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos
- Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos
- Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Springdale Intro, 7 reviews, 3 photos
- Overton Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos
- Beaver Intro, 6 reviews, 3 photos
- Moab Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Bluff Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
No friends yet.