"A Town with Great Character, History, Traditions" Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio by cmcard2
Gubbio Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 664 photos
We arrived in Gubbio on Market Day. The square was alive, and we were hungry. A bit later we were enjoying fresh cheese, various salume, and breaded fish such as squid and calamari from the street vendors.
The town was preparing for the feast of Saint Ubaldo, held annually on May15th. There were flags adorning most buildings in the town, giving it a medieval look.
There was an anticipation for the Corsa dei Ceri, an uphill run to the basilica of S. Ubaldo that involved the entire city. This involves the carrying of immense wooden pedestals each hoisted by a team of "Cerioli" (runners) clad respectively in yellow, blue, or black.
We were fortunate to have a fellow VTer, Trekki, as our gracious host. She arranged our hotel stay, a private tour, and a walking tour of the city. She spends time each year in Gubbio, and is extremely knowledgeable about this ancient city and traditions. What a bonus for us!
This page pales to hers, however it is place that deserves mention and consideration when looking for the hidden gems in Italy.
The flags represent S. Ubaldo (the patron saint of Gubbio), S. Giorgio, and S. Antonio.
The best part about the stay is the hostess Federica Biagotti. She is warm, friendly, and someone you instantly take to.... more travel advice
cmcard2's Related Pages
Gubbio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gubbio: a very proud, very pure Umbrian town"
- "A place apart"
- "Gubbio, where history lives"
- "The ancient town of Gubbio"
- "A Town with Great Character, History, Traditions"
- "One of our favorite Umbrian Towns"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gubbio
- Hotels in Gubbio
- Transportation in Gubbio
- Restaurants in Gubbio
- Shopping in Gubbio
- Warnings and Dangers in Gubbio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gubbio
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Gubbio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gubbio
Top 10 Pages
- Verona Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barbados Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 2 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Taos Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Lucca Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Rome Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Mantova Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Vernazza Intro, 1 review, 4 photos