"Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA" cmcard2's Profile
I have come to appreciate Italy each time I visit. My favorite city in all of Italy is Verona. It reminds me of my hometown of Pittsburgh, PA in that it has character - it is big enough yet small enough.
Pittsburgh is considered one of the most livable cities in the United States, and hosted the E-20 Summit in the summer of 2009.
There were many who came to work in the factories and mills of Pittsburgh from Eastern and Western Europe. This city is a melting pot of those with different natural origins.
Pittsburgh has some 13 colleges and universities, and is well known for its medical prowess. Jonas Salk pioneered the polo vaccine, while Dr. Starzl became well known for his work with heart transplants.
Pittsburgh has three major league sports teams - the Pittsburgh Pirates (baseball, the Pittsburgh Steelers (football), and the Pittsburgh Penguins (hockey). The Steelers were Super Bowl Champions in 2008-09, and the Penguins Stanley Cup Champions in 2008-09.
I encourage anyone who so desires to visit the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Pittsburgh is formed at the junction of three rivers. Pictured is Point State Park with its' magnificant fountain. Behind is the Golden Triangle, the heart of the downtown business district. Like Verona, this city has many bridges.
PNC Park is the home of the Pittsburgh Pirates, a major league baseball team. One can find the baseball park and the football stadium on the North Shore, adjacent to each other. In the background of the park across the river is the downtown skyline.
Heinz Field and PNC Park are located on the North Shore. Along with Mellon Arena, home of the Professional Hockey team, the Pittburgh Penguins, the city is home to 3 professional sports teams. Football is dear to Pittsburgh, and every Steeler game every year is a sellout. The Steelers won Super Bowl XLII in 2008, the only NFL Team to win six World Championships.
Verona like Pittsburgh has an arena that serves as a cutural center for their cities. This is the opera Tosca being performed in the Arena of Verona on a beautiful summer night.
The similarities between the bridges of Verona and those of Pittsburgh are remarkable. The view from Castel San Pietro here mirrors the panoramic from Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh. While here one has to walk the steps to gain this vantage point in Verona, the incline can carry you to the top of the mountain in Pittsburgh.
The Churches of Verona are indeed magnificant. They are testaments to the faith of those that a hand in their building. Pittsburgh also has many important churches that reveal a number of ethnic communities and parishes.
The preparation of food is a way of life in Italy. They take great pride in making the highest quality possible whether it is cheese or wine. Pittsburgh has a Little Italy, and they are known for Italian products from Italy that can be purchased in cultural area known as the Strip District
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 23 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 3 Countries
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
- Commented on cmcard2's profile page
- Posted in Travel Florence Forum "Re: Itinerary..."
- cmcard2 and effeti are now friends.
updated their Personal Page "How to Make Pizza to Perfection"
- Uploaded a Photo to "How to Make Pizza to Perfection"
- updated a Valeggio sul Mincio Travelogue "Strada del Vino Bianco di Custoza"
- Wrote a Review Visit the Land of the Valpolicella in Verona Things to Do
PhotosSee All Photos (151)
Top 10 Pages
- Verona Intro, 5 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barbados Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos
- Valeggio sul Mincio Intro, 2 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Taos Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Lucca Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Rome Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Mantova Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Vernazza Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54008 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7699 Reviews - 19779 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos