"Clarksburg..." Clarksburg by KARLPORTER56

Clarksburg Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 17 photos

Lowndes Hill

A beautiful overlook in the middle of the city...you can view every panarama .. The site has tons of potential for a scenic overlook.. Even has civil war trenches ...Unfortunately it is poorly maintained .. I use to go over to the north knoll and meditate while looking over the entire city while growing up... This hill was my refuge... They use to have an observation tower which was an adventure to walk up.. I think that there is some awful looking YMCA there now.. They could do so much with this park and it would attract tourist.. I've always imagined a high dive into a diving pool on that same knoll.. . Like the images from the Barcelona Olympics,...or a natural ampitheatre. I remember seeing a bluegrass performer on a makeshift stage there once.. people were sitting on the hill overlooking the city enjoying the music..It really is a gem.. that perhaps I only see because I practically grew up on the hill.. I really love this pic taken in the 80's of my oldest daughter who was a real cutie back then.. We were visiting from Tampa.. as I visit occasionally these days .. My daughter is 26 now.She was probably 3 or 4 here so I guess we could do the math..I'll say 1983.

This is the same cute little girl headed out towards the "Baldy Knoll" as I use to call it.. The northern view from Lowndes Hill.. (I Think it is all grown over now)..not sure.. It use to be a panaramic vision.. Even here in the early 80's.. The Building is the YMCA which the locals seemed so proud of..I was extremely dissapointed they put this metal shed right on top of the hill.. I understand the need for a YMCA.. But for the life of me why did they put it on top of Lowndes Hill?.. I guess they were smoking something wacky back in those days..Why is that lump of dirt sitting there? Is there a septic system or some engineering reason for it being left there?Or did they just not have enough funds to haul it off.. Nevertheless it just adds to eyesore of the Ugly Metal shed ...They use to have a nice observation tower just behind this metal building and you could see Clarksburg in every direction..Maybe If you stood on top of the clump of dirt you can see something now I am not sure.. I really don't know if the clump of dirt is still there..probably is..

RiverBend Park

Instead of Lowndes Hill. The city has put their funds into this park which has a nice hiking trail that follows the River Bend of the West Fork... My kids spent all their time this particular summer on this slide.. which was cheap.. There was a large public pool.. A fight broke out between local kids one day we were there.. Like I said kids here do get bored.. however it still was a nice city park.. tennis courts, Mini golf.. they use to have a par 3 when I was growing up, Baseball fields and basketball courts..picnic areas and a nice playground..

• Pros:Great food,restaurants home of the Pepperoni Roll
  • Cons:Need to fix up Lowndes Hill...
  • In a nutshell:Nice town with a lot of history..birthplace of General Stonewall Jackson
  • Last visit to Clarksburg: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 23, 2006

Travelogues (1)

Comments

Badges & Stats in Clarksburg

Have you been to Clarksburg?

Latest Activity in Clarksburg