"Valdez an Eerie Paradise" Valdez by KARLPORTER56
Valdez Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 182 photos
This is one of the most intriguing places I've ever been. Perhaps because of it's beauty but mostly because of it's History. You cannot go anywhere without somehow being reminded of the 1964 earthquake.. Mostly from the museum which is located in the center of this small city and the fact that you are in a New Valdez. Which was rebuilt after the 1964 earthquake after the old city was all but demolished.
An eerie cloud hangs over the mountains with freefalling waterfalls.. It is both beautiful and eerie.. not only because of it's history.. but it's unstable terrain.. You can hike up into the mountains but be wary of Grizzlies.. A tremendously interesting place. The tourist are comprised of about the diverse lot of people you will find anywhere. Hikers,Hippies, Europeans, Asians,Rich, Poor, Mariners, Pipeline people.. Hiking,boating,fishing, Hunting.. Unbelievable Terrain if you arrive from the North on the Richardson Highway. Glaciers, Deep Fog,Waterfalls even salmon flats.. Both eerie and euphoric..
Kind of get a feeling that The Oil Spill is something that Most people don't want to remember. They will talk about it but you have to bring it up.. Also the museum only has a very small section about it.. This is the Life preserver from the EXXON VALDEZ.
This place was open late right on the Docks The service was fantastic.The waitress was extremely nice. We had a greek... more travel advice
Just a fastfood type fish and chip restaurant that just happens to serve halibut..Not sure what is customary but they... more travel advice
KARLPORTER56's Related Pages
Valdez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North America's northernmost ice free port"
- "Valdez Alaska"
- "Valdez Alaska"
- "youc0001's new Valdez Page"
- "SWISS OF NORTHAMERICA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valdez
- Hotels in Valdez
- Transportation in Valdez
- Nightlife in Valdez
- Restaurants in Valdez
- Shopping in Valdez
- Warnings and Dangers in Valdez
- See All...
Explore the World
- Aracaju Hotels
- Gateway National Recreation Area Hotels
- South Tacoma Hotels
- Cochise Hotels
- Kampong Sungai Penchala Hotels
- Asquith Hotels
- Wilaya de Rabat-Sale
- Mesa Verde National Park
- Gouvernorat de Kebili
Badges & Stats in Valdez
- 4 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Valdez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valdez
Photos in ValdezSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 2 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tampa Intro, 3 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Valdez Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fort De Soto Intro, 3 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grand Canyon Intro, 2 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Talkeetna Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Blackwater Falls State Park Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
Latest Valdez hotel reviews
- Keystone Hotel
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013
- Mountain Sky Hotel
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013
- Glacier Sound Inn
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 5, 2013
- Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn (100 Harbor Drive.)
- 185 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013