"Anchorage" Anchorage by KARLPORTER56

Anchorage Travel Guide: 846 reviews and 1,567 photos

Anchorage

Anchorage is like a dose of normalcy compared to the rest of Alaska.All the major chains exist, movie theatres ,malls, normal neighborhoods divided by ethnic group and socioeconomic level, just like anywhere else in the U.S.
A good place to get your bearings before your Alaska journey and a good place to decompress before you leave.. In our case we landed at the Airport and quickly drove north.. we did however spend our last day just generally knocking around Anchorage, Searched the mall for souvenirs, ate luch at Denny's, even watched a movie at the Century theatre. Then we drove up to Hillside drive and caught a beautiful view of the City..before driving around a little more and departing..

There is a very large Air Force presence in Anchorage. Elmendorf AFB base takes up much of Anchorage.. we made a wrong turn here and almost ended up at the front gate.. Since I am an Air Force veteran I have no problem with the large military presence here.In fact about a month after I left Anchorage I reunited with an Air Force friend that I haven't seen or heard from in around 30 years via the internet.. naturally I was shocked when I found out she now lives in Anchorage.. Oh well at least now I'll know someone in Alaska the next time we visit..

• Pros:Nice place to get your bearings
  • Cons:More homeless people than I thought there would be
  • Last visit to Anchorage: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 29, 2006

Comments

Badges & Stats in Anchorage

Have you been to Anchorage?

Latest Activity in Anchorage