"You Just Never Know what is on the next page....." KARLPORTER56's Profile
I do really enjoy travelling. As soon as I was 18 I decided to hitchhike around the United States.. I did so immediately after graduation of Sarasota High Florida in 1974.. A time when hitchhiking was more popular than it is now.. I remember keeping a journal of my travels. It took me from Florida to New Orleans up through Mississippi through Arkansas and Missouri, Through the plains of Kansas to the snow cap mountains in Colorado.. I remember staying in Boulder with some friends and then heading up to Wyoming, a landscape which reminded me of the Moon through Utah where I had my first encounter with Mormans then to a Fiddlers festival in Idaho to a the canyons in eastern Washington to Seattle around the Olympic Penninsula down Hwy 1 through Oregon into the Suislaw Forest to the Redwood of Northern California .. places like Eureka and Yreka down to Mendocino to Berkely to San Fransisco and even Petaluma all the way down the coast to Fresno, San Clemente. sleeping in an abandoned house in Alpine California. Hitchiking was bad in El Centro then off to Yuma and on to Phoenix...on to Flagstaff to Metoer Crater to Albuquerque to Amarillo to Tulsa to Little Rock to Memphis to Knoxville to Lexington all the way back to a little unknown town called Clarksburg WV.. Where I started my adult life. My entire hitch across the U.S. only took about 4 weeks and I did it on 20 dollars... Yes I said 20 dollars..
A few months later I enlisted into the Air Force with hopes of traveling but after a few months in Texas with juants to Nueva Laredo and Austin on weekends. I only managed a couple of years in Northern Maine.. I finished my 4 year career in Tampa where I live today.. Now I am now 50 and after raising 4 beautiful kids even though I am not quite all the way done doing that.. I am trying to resume my travel adventures . I am resuming my quest to visit all 50 states.. I have only at 44 states now... And even though the only other countries I have visited are Canada and Mexico. my goal is to visit all the Continents.
My wish list to visit in no particular order
South America.. Argentina (Just seems like a widely diverse country with unparralled beauty and culture)
Carribean.. St. Kitts and Nevis. (Seems like a nice place to relax between the months of January and June)
Middle East .. Egypt, I have to see the Pyramids before I die.
Africa... Namibia. I have to see the Red Desert .
Europe.. The Netherlands ,Germany .. Just think I would enjoy these countries.
Asia.. China. Sooner rather than later..
Australia..Seems like a great place to see.
I hope to complete my lower 48 this year .. I mentioned before that I would like to visit all 50.. I hope to finish the lower 48 this summer. I need Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Nebraska.... Then the next 2 years I hope finish off the entire 50 with a visit to Hawaii.
.The last couple of Years I have added to my list.. The last new state I visited before that was perhaps in 1976 when I was visiting an Air Force buddy in Fall River Mass. and he took me into Tiverton ,Rhode Island to mark Rhode Island off my list. .. That was state number 38. In 2003 I finally added to my list by visiting Racine, Wisconsin #39 and Eagle Lake, Michigan # 40. 2004 I visited Las Vegas, Nevada state # 41 and West Yellowstone, Montana, state number 42. last Year I went in to Bennington and southern Vermont for state # 43..This I finally hit Alaska this year for state # 44. I was thrilled to find this web page while I look for more places to travel to and share pictures and thoughts with other people who love to travel.. .
Personal Pages (2)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 47 Reviews
- 614 Photos
- 1 Countries
- 23 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
updated their Profile Page "You Just Never Know what is on the next page....."
- Commented on Stephen-KarenConn's profile page
- updated a Tampa Travel Page "Tampa Bay Florida"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tampa Bay Florida"
- Wrote a Review Rent a car in Alaska Transportation
- Posted in Travel Florida Forum "RE: RE: Windy?"
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 2 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tampa Intro, 3 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alaska Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Valdez Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 3 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fort De Soto Intro, 3 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grand Canyon Intro, 2 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Talkeetna Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Blackwater Falls State Park Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.
- Paris Hotels
- 22507 Reviews - 55085 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23331 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15666 Reviews - 31356 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 897 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3730 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3100 Reviews - 5884 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10316 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12025 Reviews - 26772 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos