"Home on the Range" Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane by thedouglas
Brisbane Travel Guide: 1,711 reviews and 3,860 photos
We live near Brisbane, in south east Queensland, in a semi rural housing estate, to the West of the city. Two of the biggest lifestyle differences between Australia and countries we have visited, are the distances between places, and the population. We are used to relatively long drives to get to places, even for a daytrip.
There's no place like home, and we are always pleased to get back to Queensland, and our peaceful home (apart from the noisy crows!) after a trip away.
Our house is on a long block which backs onto the Bremer River, which joins the Brisbane River a little further along. One New Year resolution is to get down to the river more often - and smell the roses, or count the blades of grass or something. Too often, we need to get away from home to relax.
I spend a lot of time sitting and relaxing on my verandah, which runs along the front and back of the house. The mosquitoes have a way of driving me inside all too often.
While we do live relatively close to the city - and have some room to move at home. Its always nice to retreat here at the end of the day - and enjoy the "serenity of it all". This picture was taken at dusk one day recently, looking up our street.
....which I seem to rarely walk past, is the river! One of the enticements when we bought this house. We have regular visits from ducks and birds and hares and kangaroos and all sorts of Australian friends in the yard, but never seem to get out and smell the outdoors in the course of our working week.
This is the lovely view from my backyard, looking up along the Brisbane River.
- Pros:Close to bush, beach, reef and rainforest regions
- Cons:If you don't like really hot summers - avoid summer here!
- In a nutshell:As the saying so "Beautfiul one day - perfect the next"!
If you want some iconic Australian clothing or leather accessories from R M Williams, the best place to get this is at... more travel advice
This great open zoo is located 30kms or so up the Bruce Highway, towards the Sunshine Coast. Set on 20 acres of... more travel advice
- See All Brisbane's Original Turkish Nosh
- Sun and the heat factor!
- See All Darrell Lea Chocolates
- See All Climbing at the Kangaroo Cliffs
thedouglas' Related Pages
Brisbane Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BRISBANE - Capital of Queensland"
- "MY HOME"
- "Be it ever so humble......."
- "Home on the Range"
- "A big country town.................."
- "OK BRISBANE, HERE I COME"
- "BRISBANE – Out of ‘Moreton Bay’"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brisbane
- Hotels in Brisbane
- Transportation in Brisbane
- Nightlife in Brisbane
- Restaurants in Brisbane
- Shopping in Brisbane
- Warnings and Dangers in Brisbane
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brisbane
- 61 Reviews
- 177 Photos
- 92 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Brisbane?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brisbane
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 72 reviews, 198 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 61 reviews, 177 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lightning Ridge Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rangoon Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos