"Home on the Range" Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane by thedouglas

Brisbane Travel Guide: 1,672 reviews and 3,802 photos

Home - near Brisbane

We live near Brisbane, in south east Queensland, in a semi rural housing estate, to the West of the city. Two of the biggest lifestyle differences between Australia and countries we have visited, are the distances between places, and the population. We are used to relatively long drives to get to places, even for a daytrip.

There's no place like home, and we are always pleased to get back to Queensland, and our peaceful home (apart from the noisy crows!) after a trip away.

Our house is on a long block which backs onto the Bremer River, which joins the Brisbane River a little further along. One New Year resolution is to get down to the river more often - and smell the roses, or count the blades of grass or something. Too often, we need to get away from home to relax.

I spend a lot of time sitting and relaxing on my verandah, which runs along the front and back of the house. The mosquitoes have a way of driving me inside all too often.

Our Street at Sundown

While we do live relatively close to the city - and have some room to move at home. Its always nice to retreat here at the end of the day - and enjoy the "serenity of it all". This picture was taken at dusk one day recently, looking up our street.

Down Behind the Clothes Line.......

....which I seem to rarely walk past, is the river! One of the enticements when we bought this house. We have regular visits from ducks and birds and hares and kangaroos and all sorts of Australian friends in the yard, but never seem to get out and smell the outdoors in the course of our working week.

This is the lovely view from my backyard, looking up along the Brisbane River.

• Pros:Close to bush, beach, reef and rainforest regions
  • Cons:If you don't like really hot summers - avoid summer here!
  • In a nutshell:As the saying so "Beautfiul one day - perfect the next"!
  • Intro Updated Sep 11, 2008

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2009 at 3:52 AM

This has to be about the definitive Brisbane page: bloody good! Gee, the place has grown and changed since I lived there. So has this excellent page with many updates since my previous visit! :))

• IrishFem's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Great tips and photographs, looking forward to my trip there in a few weeks...

• rosie235's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2008 at 2:26 AM

haven't seen you on here much anymore... how have you been..? what's new with you? hope things are great...

• tissie's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 1:31 PM

We had a great time in Brisbane and we certainly make a return trip and follow up some of your tips, we think it's a great place, loved the river/riverside and the botanic gardens.

• Jan 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Interesting Brisbane page. I have heard a lot about it before but never really knew what it looked like.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Congratulations your pages are fabulous and that's from one Brisbaneite to another. I know you are 10 years younger than me but I was haunting Coffee Lounges back in the early 60,s. There was never a doubt that they'd catch on.

• Sep 17, 2007 at 7:18 AM

It was the Bush Inn not the Bull Inn

• alywang's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 5:03 AM

nice picture,nice river!

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2007 at 6:17 AM

What a fantastic amount of work you have done Therese?. There are very few, if any Aussie pages as good. Huge congratulations. !! PC's aren't the only 'things' that carry out multi-tasking! Steve Irwin's album is great. (Bindi worry.)

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Decided it was time I checked out your hometown and wow did I get a surprise. What a beautiful place - it's got everything ! I think the Brisbane Tourist Board will employ you after this SUPERB tour of Brisbane. Excellent page, I really loved it.

thedouglas Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Brisbane

Have you been to Brisbane?

Latest Activity in Brisbane