"Hebel the Border of Queensland and New South Wales" Hebel by thedouglas
Hebel Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 5 photos
Hebel was established in 1889 under the name Kelly's Point. It has been claimed Dan Kelly and Steve Hart, members of the infamous Kelly gang resided in the Hebel area under assumed names. The name was changed to Hebel in the early 1890's. There has been a suggestion that when the name was changed, there was a family of German people residing in the town whose surname, or the Christian name of the father was Hebel. They were responsible apparently, for the title the town has carried over a century.
The Hebel Store established in 1897 today stands as two buildings, the original store and the Hebel Dance Hall built around the same date. Visitors to the store need to watch their step as the old dance floor moves, telling a tale of the bygone era. The Hebel Store sells local arts, crafts and history books.
The distinctive Hebel Hotel was originally a Cobb & Co stopover, which opened in 1894. This wonderful hotel has a colourful history and cannot be missed on a visit to Hebel.
Hebel's only real claim to fame now is that if you are trucking livestock you must present crossing papers here to continue into NSW
Therese's sister saw the sign and wouldn't let her husband in as he is a well known fighter who will not tie up his dog called Bonz..(husband a policeman and dog a poodle)
It is a great little pub and the food at the cafe was very palatable. Remember to frequent these little places as they are leaving the landscape at a rapid rate
Fred Brophy is a 4th generation showman and head of Brophys Boxing tent. I will put up a little page about this one under the town of Cracow.. Fred I think actually owns the whole town.. If you ever get a chance to see it it is well worth the night of political incorrectness and good humoured fun combined with the odd broken nose!!!
- Pros:Aussie icon country - whatever that means
- Cons:Long way from anywhere else much
- In a nutshell:A little red roof on the horizon!
thedouglas' Related Pages
Hebel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hebel...in the Land of the Croaking Frog"
- "Hebel the Border of Queensland and New South Wales"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hebel
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Hebel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hebel
- Posted in Travel Laos Forum "Re: Mekong River... is it really..."
- updated a Hebel Travel Page "Hebel the Border of Queensland and New South Wales"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hebel the Border of Queensland and New South Wales"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 72 reviews, 198 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 61 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lightning Ridge Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rangoon Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos