"Ipswich - Oldest Provincial City in Queensland" Ipswich by thedouglas
Ipswich Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 55 photos
Ipswich lies about 40kms west of Brisbane - and is Queensland's oldest provincial city - settled in 1827. It was initially a convict settlement - to work rich deposits of Limestone, and later, coal.
Ipswich is also the home of Queensland Rail - and the old workshops have been used as the venue for the state's rail museum - a wonderful interactive museum for people of all ages.
There are many examples of Australian colonial buildings surviving in this city, which have National Trust listings, and have been lovingly restored and maintained in the old ways.
Charming examples of miner's cottages are in abundance, which have now been restored as homes for many first owners, who often travel to Brisbane for work. Housing is becoming increasingly expensive in Ipswich though, and it less of a cheap option these days.
The coal tradition attracted many Welsh miner immigrants to this area, and there is an ongoing rich culture of Welsh choirs in Ipswich - eisteddfod tradition alive and well here.
Ipswich is also a starting point for a Heritage Trail drive, through Rosewood, Marburg and Grandchester.
A part of "the great southeast" - not a prime tourist destination by any means, but worth a drive.
- Pros:Example of country Queensland - gateway to the bush
- Cons:Colder and hotter than Brisbane by a country mile!
- In a nutshell:Historical buildings, prisons and now a university to boast!
thedouglas' Related Pages
Ipswich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NERIMA JAPANESE GARDENS AT IPSWICH"
- "Ipswich - Oldest Provincial City in Queensland"
- "IPSWICH - HOME OF THE RAILWAY MUSEUM"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ipswich
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ipswich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ipswich
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 72 reviews, 198 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 61 reviews, 177 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lightning Ridge Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rangoon Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos