"Lightning Ridge - Australian Black Opal Country" Lightning Ridge by thedouglas
Lightning Ridge Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 152 photos
This is a cash town - where there are people from all over the world to be found - most of whom are eccentric individuals, who all contribute to making this a wonderffully interesting place to visit. There are representatives of 50 different nationalities in this little town, with a population of 5000 to 6000 - who's counting??? There are 6000 mining claims lying on 2000 distinct mine fields (not the nasty kind!), around the Ridge, and most of the mining done now is underground. A high percentage of the population of The Ridge came to town originally as holiday makers. A few weeks here convinces them that Lightning Ridge is a social oasis in the vast expanses of the Australian Outback - and a place to hang your hat for good!
Located in New South Wales - it lies 767kms from Sydney and 709 kms from Brisbane - about half way - and there is an airport and bus services.
The tourism highlight of the year is the Easter Goat Races - which are attended from far and wide, but there are many and varied things to see and do at what is affectionately known as "The Ridge".
This pic depicts John Murray's flying van (see Things to Do tip), and you know you are in for something different the moment you hit the town!
The first real interest in opal here was when Jack Murray, a boundary rider, found a floater in 1900 while setting a rabbit trap for dog food. He sank the first shaft on Lightnight Ridge in 1901. It is now the foremost location for black opal in the world.
This stone is awesome - no two are alike, and they change with every minute move - and are glorious in the sun. Opal is mined here from 1m to 30m depth, and is found in dedimentary rocks that were deposited in freshwater environment during the Cretaceous Period - about 110 million years ago.
Lightning ridge is thought to be an apt name for the home of such a beautiful gem. Although unofficial, it was the name given to the region long before discovery of the opal.
Since the start of the community, it has grown and maintained its position as the world's foremost black opal mining area, and been worked continuously and prosperously by professional and private enterprises. Many "rags to riches" tales are to be told at The Ridge.
There are many sights to see at Lightning Ridge - many of which you will never see again - and possibly not want to! Many of the buildings, both inhabited and abaondoned, provide conversation and wonderment for a long time. Like most Australian small country towns, there are characters, folklore and an abundance of character once you scratch the surface.
This is fascinating and enticing part of real outback Australia - and I love to visit.
There is a need for the history of these sorts of places to be shared and appreciated. And, like most places in the world, the best experiences can be had in the "Off the Beaten Track" locations. For an experience that is truly Australian, The Ridge is a really great place to visit. There are plenty of opportunities to fossick, visit working mines and buy opal in the rough, as well as get the best priced opals, set and unset, from the locals. Forget the triplet and doublet rubbish you can buy in most of the giftshops in the big smoke. You have to see these beauties to believe them.
- Pros:Country Australia - with all the trappings
- Cons:Can't afford to buy all the opal i want!
- In a nutshell:The Opal in Australia's crown!
Opal is said to cure depression - and to help the wearer find true and real love! Black opal is reputed to further... more travel advice
You need to take good walking shoes or boots - forget open shoes, unless you like getting your feet very dirty - the... more travel advice
thedouglas' Related Pages
Lightning Ridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WORLD'S RICHEST DEPOSIT OF BLACK OPAL"
- "Lightning Ridge - Australian Black Opal Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lightning Ridge
- Hotels in Lightning Ridge
- Shopping in Lightning Ridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Lightning Ridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lightning Ridge
- 18 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Lightning Ridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lightning Ridge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 72 reviews, 198 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 61 reviews, 177 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lightning Ridge Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rangoon Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos