"Straddie....our little dream" North Stradbroke Island by thedouglas
North Stradbroke Island Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 26 photos
Anybody who comes to Brisbane should take a day or 2 and go to 'Straddie" which is a jewel amongst the islands of Queensland.
Picturesque North Stradbroke Island is an enticing blend of rugged coastal landscape, tranquil inland lakes, and pristine beaches just one hour from Brisbane.
One of the world's largest sand islands, it is situated at the southern end of Moreton Bay and is easily accessible by vehicle ferry ("barge") and water taxi from Cleveland.
North Stradbroke Island has some of the most spectacular scenery found in Queensland. White sandy beaches stretch into an endless horizon fringed by the aqua blue ocean, while a system of freshwater lakes in the island's centre provides beautiful picnic and swimming spots.
The three townships still have a village atmosphere but offer a range of accommodation to suit all budgets, not to mention a variety of cafés and restaurants.
Also Straddie has some of the best vantage points in Queensland to view the whales migration.
.......many of which you don't have to share for hours on end. There are few things are relaxing as wandering beside the surf in the cool of the mornings or the early evening.
Watch the array of people visiting - from the early morning fishermen, locals and their dogs having their daily constitutional, early riser tourists out for a walk, and even leftover partyers from the night before! - all before the day has begun.
This popular beach is a magnet for all visitors.
- Pros:Just about everything
- Cons:Sunday paper does not arrive until 10am!
- In a nutshell:Well worth the relatively small effort.
Whales can be seen from a number of vantage points at Point Lookout. On the North Gorge Walk, excellent views are... more travel advice
thedouglas' Related Pages
North Stradbroke Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North Stradbroke Island"
- "Straddie....our little dream"
- "Visiting Stradbroke Island - "Maddie on Straddie""
- "Lookout Point"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Stradbroke Island
- Hotels in North Stradbroke Island
- Transportation in North Stradbroke Island
- Warnings and Dangers in North Stradbroke Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in North Stradbroke Island
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to North Stradbroke Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Stradbroke Island
Photos in North Stradbroke IslandSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 72 reviews, 198 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 61 reviews, 177 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lightning Ridge Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rangoon Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos