Bangkok Favorite Tips by thedouglas Top 5 Page for this destination
Bangkok Favorites: 606 reviews and 758 photos
Never tastes so good as on holidays
Favorite thing: We love to sit in the piano bar of our hotel and sip a beautiful cocktail at the end of the day - great way to wind down, and get your body ready for bed! They are usually so beautifully presented, and so enjoyable on holidays.
Fondest memory: Sitting at the end of the day, sipping a cocktail I haven't had before - listening to the piano - and just basking in the thought that I am back in Bangkok!
Favorite thing: When my daughter and I were in Bangkok last year, it was really hot, and we tried to work out the most efficient way to dress appropriately to visit the Grand Palace, and be comfortable for the rest of the day. We had been given sarongs as gifts, and decied that they would be perfect! Put them over your shorts - and off you go. Well, firstly, the thong footwear attire of my daughter did not pass scrutiny (our oversight), and she had to wear some "borrowed" little items from the complex - which were at least 3 sizes too small for her petite little size 8 Aussie tootsie - and we felt like Geisha girls must, taking little steps all arund the palace, and were so hot underneath. So, anyone considering this - forget it! Seems the best attire is to go the whole hog and wear trousers, or zipper leg shorts>trousers, or skirts - which I don't enjoy for the rest of the sweaty chafing day! And - I did consider taking separate trousers, but how would I carry the inevitible day's purchases if my backpack was all crowded with pants!
Banana Pancakes - at least one daily!
Favorite thing: Holidaying in Asia with the children for the first time required some accommodation for their wary palates. Our family made an almost daily trek to Khao San Road whilst in Bangkok, for food, shopping and massage. The most popular treat for us was the banana pancakes from this lady - and her protege(s). Great treat for 30 to 40Bt, depending on the amount of toppings - ie. with or without condensed milk and chocolate!
Favorite thing: If you are staying in Chinatown, be aware of the difficulties getting back to this area on Saturday evenings - when it is at its busiest. I was rejected by many taxis and tuktuks to get back to my hotel from Chatuchak markets - and didn't know why. Even Bangkok drivers prefer to keep away from there at this time! So - either get home early - or stay out late - or train it back to Hualamphong Stn, and walk!
More Reviews (68)
- See All Ferry Factors - feet and ears beware
- See All Wat Pho - home of the famous Reclining...
- See All Tourist special route express boats
- See All Touts can be very smooth
- See All T-Shirts
thedouglas' Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Links to Street Maps: Finding Your Way"
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- "One of my favorite cities in Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nisida Nikouria Hotels
- Terespol Hotels
- Moonbi Hotels
- Round Rock Hotels
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 72 Reviews
- 198 Photos
- 686 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
- Commented on one of johnaalex's Bangkok travel pages
- Posted in Travel Laos Forum "Re: Mekong River... is it really..."
- updated a Bangkok Travelogue "Market wanderings in Bangkok"
- Wrote a Review Ferry Factors - feet and ears beware about Canal and River boat safety in Bangkok Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wat Pho - home of the famous Reclining Buddha"
Photos in BangkokSee All Photos (198)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 72 reviews, 198 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 61 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lightning Ridge Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rangoon Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (46)
Latest Bangkok hotel reviews
- Krit Thai Mansion
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Swiss Park Hotel Bangkok
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Patra Place Rama 9
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Peachy Guesthouse
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013
- 13 Coins Airport Hotel Minburi
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 2, 2012
- Thai House Inn
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2012
- Grand Millennium Sukhumvit
- 449 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Century Park Hotel Bangkok
- 458 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Babylon Bangkok
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Phra Athit Mansion
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 4, 2013
- President Palace Hotel
- 711 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Salil Hotel Sukhumvit Soi 8
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Kantary House
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Rama Gardens Hotel Bangkok
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- Room @ Silom Hotel
- 353 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Grand Palace - Wat Phra Kaew- 394 Reviews, 748 Photos
- Floating Market- 116 Reviews, 225 Photos
- Wat Arun - Temple of the Dawn- 151 Reviews, 286 Photos
- Chatuchak Weekend Market- 105 Reviews, 157 Photos
- Wat Pho- 217 Reviews, 439 Photos
- Traditional Thai massage- 48 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Chao Phraya River- 107 Reviews, 196 Photos
- Ayuthaya - Old City- 50 Reviews, 112 Photos
- Baiyoke Tower- 27 Reviews, 79 Photos
- Wat Traimit - Temple of the Golden Buddha- 61 Reviews, 117 Photos
See All Bangkok Things to Do