"Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!"" Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok by thedouglas
Bangkok Travel Guide: 10,398 reviews and 23,172 photos
On my first visit to Bangkok, I clicked all day from the moment we left our hotel! Walk out the door of the Grand China Princess, and no matter which way you turn, there is something to see - that you have probably never seen before.
Markets galore - from the food markets and other street markets along the streets and sois, the monks eary morning gathering and blessings and the early morning shopfront sales, to the shutters up and the action is really on amonst the Chinatown alleys - and the lights on, nighttime street "flea" market and hugest number of food stalls - to the exciting thieves market - the street gold shops and Chinese china goods - Little India - it goes on and on. Never get tired of walking, looking, clicking ....
Staying in Chinatown is great - 10 minute stroll to Ratchawongse pier - where you can get to almost anywhere, 15 minute walk to Hualamphong Stn, tuk tuk and taxi heaven in this city. Just make sure you negotiate fares with tuktuks and the taxi metre is on!
River is one of the best ways to get around though - cheap and always interesting. Any way of moving around this city is interesting - no matter what method - always things to see. Maps are easy to get hold of - and locals always happy to point you in the right direction - don't laugh too much if you've got a map, and you've still gone the wrong way. Husbands do have some highly specialised skills!
Longtail boat rides are a special treat in Bangkok - take you around the "neighbourhoods", life along the river , see people bathing (clad) and washing clothes etc. in the water - while you feel you must keep your mouth clamped shut at all times, lest you get the dreaded dysentery! Floating markets go by, and offer you wares - you CAN shop anywhere in Bangkok!
We love to go and hang out at KhaoSan Rd in the evenings - to offload the digital camera bearings onto a disc, enjoy an afternoon beer at one of the many bars, eat a meal off the street or from a bar or restaurant, change some money, SHOP, check out tours, flights, secondhand books galore, have a gloriously cheap massage or facial (where they put real cucumber on your eyes and squeeze your blackheads!) - and, best of all, is just to sit and watch the world go by......It has a sense of containment and safety - although you always have to be careful. We made a habit of this when travelling there with the kids - who really loved the atmosphere - and the banana pancakes - roti! - a daily helping (or two) was a must.
- Pros:Something different every day - you just have to go and find it
- Cons:Traffic and smog
- In a nutshell:Go ready for a sensory overload
Ferries generally stop at piers where there are people waiting to get on or off - so, always be sure you are at the back... more travel advice
Longtail Boats are a fast, sometime exciting way of getting around the Chao Phraya river. You can hire one for your own... more travel advice
- See All Touts can be very smooth
- See All T-Shirts
- See All Soi Dogs I have Seen!
- See All End of day cocktails
thedouglas' Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Links to Street Maps: Finding Your Way"
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- "One of my favorite cities in Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 72 Reviews
- 198 Photos
- 683 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
- Posted in Travel Singapore Forum "Treating yourself in Singapore"
- Commented on one of johnaalex's Bangkok travel pages
- updated a Bangkok Travelogue "Market wanderings in Bangkok"
- Wrote a Review Ferry Factors - feet and ears beware about Canal & River boats in Bangkok Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wat Pho - home of the famous Reclining Buddha"
Photos in BangkokSee All Photos (198)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 72 reviews, 198 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 61 reviews, 177 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lightning Ridge Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rangoon Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos