"Inwa - Mouth of the Lake" Inwa by thedouglas
Inwa Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 113 photos
Inwa was the Capital of a Burmese kingdom for about 400 years from the 14th Century, after the fall of Bagan.
Meaning "Mouth of the Lake", it lies on the Mandalay side of the Ayeyarwady River only a few kilometres south of Amarapura. It is essentially an island, as a channel has been cut in, necessitating the use of a slow ferry across to the remnants of this old city.
The capital of Inwa was affected by a number of territorial tussles between the Mon and Bamar - eventually being destroyed by the Mon in 1752. The Mon were subsequently overpowered and fled from Burma. During these years, the capital was moved and returned on a few occasions. There was at least one shift between Inwa and the nearby Amarapura site.
An earthquake in 1838 resulted in the final abandonment of Inwa as the capital, with a final relocation back to Amarapura city site.
There are little villages within the town walls, and some minor agricultural ventures to be seen. The major source of income appears to come from tourism, and the horse and buggy transport service!
- Pros:A glimpse of the past
- Cons:Not on my day
- In a nutshell:A capital that served well - and many times!
Crossing across from the "mainland" road to Inwa is a short ride in this little boat across the manmade channel/canal,... more travel advice
This is known as the "leaning tower of Inwa" by virtue of the structural shift brought about by the 1838 earthquake. The... more travel advice
thedouglas' Related Pages
Inwa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ancient City of Inwa"
- "Inwa - Mouth of the Lake"
- "INWA , THE OLD CAPITAL"
- "( Innwa )The capital become four time but....,"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Inwa
- Transportation in Inwa
- Restaurants in Inwa
- Shopping in Inwa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Inwa
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Inwa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Inwa
Photos in InwaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 72 reviews, 198 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 61 reviews, 177 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lightning Ridge Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rangoon Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos