"Seriously Detained or Shop Stop?" Tachilek by thedouglas
Tachilek Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 111 photos
Tachilek is the Myanmar border crossing into Mae sai in Thailand, accessed via a small bridge. Although we had been given authorisation to cross here into Thailand, we were not permitted past.
It is a market and gambling town. The large market centre is full of Chinese goods at Chinese prices. Therese filled a bag here with DVD's, sunglasses and magnified glasses, girls bags and clothing. Peter resisted the urge to try some of the cheap Viagra being peddled in the market.
Many Thai nationals come here to purchase goods to sell. A day pass can be purchased on the Thai side, and plenty of tourists avail themselves of these for shopping as well.
We spent a day here, before finding out that we were not going to be permitted to cross the border. We would never have flown to Tachilek for the touristic experience. It was merely on our route to Laos.
There were a number of health and community services in this town, and signs attesting to the goal of "cleaning up" the drug problems in the top end of Myanmar. Much of the remaining poppy produced in Myanmar comes from this Shan state, and this is a fairly politically/militarily unstable area as a result, with ongoing intermittent border skirmishes between the Myanma and the Thai. Its one of the reasons for the tight restrictions on the border movements.
In fact, we found that the area is so unstable, that the daily flights out and incoming landings can be cancelled at a moment's notice. When we were flying from Mandalay, we were told that we may not be able to land at Tachilek - which we stupidly assumed was due to weather conditions.
We should have been wiser! Tachilek was one of a "milk run" stops on this flight, and, as we exited the plane, the hostesses checked that we meant to get off there! When we arrived, there was a fair bit of armed harassment of some of the other passengers, checking of ID cards, and detentions. I was accosted by a really nice lady in the toilet, asking why we were there, who actually told me she did not know that "foreigners" could cross the border there. I trusted in what we had obtained from the Myanmar Embassy in Australia - fool me!
Tachilek has a local appeal for the food apparently! There were a number of restaurants, all of which were very cheap, and the food was basic but good. We also saw a number of local gambling houses in the town, which is likely to be an other drawcard for the border crossing visitors. Thais can cross into here quite freely, but the traffic out is much more controlled.
- Pros:Scratching for that
- Cons:Plenty of hidden agendas
- In a nutshell:For us, a huge waste of time and money.
We have to take some responsibility for what happened to us in Tachilek, as I later found in the Lonely Planet that... more travel advice
Not a good idea to ask for a recommendation for accommodation, unless the agenda of the advisor is evident or disclosed.... more travel advice
thedouglas' Related Pages
Tachilek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seriously Detained or Shop Stop?"
- "TACHILEK, NOT AS BORING AS SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST"
- "Tachilek, Shan State"
- "City of Golden Triangle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tachilek
- Hotels in Tachilek
- Transportation in Tachilek
- Restaurants in Tachilek
- Shopping in Tachilek
- Warnings and Dangers in Tachilek
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tachilek
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Tachilek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tachilek
Photos in TachilekSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bangkok Intro, 72 reviews, 198 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brisbane Intro, 61 reviews, 177 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Intro, 47 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chiang Mai Intro, 26 reviews, 76 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 28 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lightning Ridge Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rangoon Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sukhothai Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 17 reviews, 31 photos