"Reykjavik" Reykjavík Region by Bjorgvin

Reykjavík Region Travel Guide: 1,636 reviews and 4,334 photos

Reykjavik is the capital and largest town of Iceland. It is located at the southeastern corner of Faxa Bay in southwestern Iceland. According to tradition it was founded in 874 by the Norseman Ingólfur Arnarson. Until the 20th century it was a small fishing village, ruled and largely inhabited by Danes. It was granted municipal powers and was designated the administrative centre of the Danish-ruled island in 1786. The seat of the Althing (parliament) since 1843, it became the capital of a self-governing Iceland under the Danish king in 1918 and of the independent Republic of Iceland in 1944. Noteworthy buildings include the Parliament Building, the Old Lutheran Cathedral, Hallgrim´s Church, the National Library of Iceland, the University of Iceland, the National Museum, the National Theatre, a state hospital, and a navigation school. Bessastadir, the residence of the president of Iceland, is outside the town.

• Intro Updated Aug 15, 2003

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Nice tips and pictures you have here. I visited Iceland just before the recession and loved it very much. You live in a very beautiful country and area. Greetings from Stockholm.

• L._A.'s Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2005 at 9:28 PM

Excellent information! I thought I knew quite a bit about Iceland, but your pages made me feel I've been there.

• Feb 8, 2005 at 8:26 AM

Lots of beautiful photos...! Iceland's so wild & rugged...really want to go there some day soon...! Regards from Bergen..(Bjørgvin)..:-)

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 12:52 AM

The story of Saemund and the Seal brings to mind an article I read about 3-4 yrs ago about the importation of exotic wildlife. Have the alligators arrived to the hot springs yet?

• lennywoods's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2004 at 4:39 PM

Wow! Very nice pictures, I can only hope to get to Iceland someday...so many places...so many places. Cheers from Seattle, WA, USA

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2004 at 7:12 AM

Your hometown is really beautiful ..I love the view from Hallgrim's church ...especially the colourful roof and clear blue sky ! Warmest regards from Malaysia

• tvdm's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2004 at 9:03 AM

I'm browsing thru your page and am reliving the good memories again :) Next time I'll go in summer and catch some more light for my pix! Oh, by the by: isn't Björgvin Icelandic for Bergen?

• Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2004 at 6:53 AM

There really seems to be some sort of an unearthly charm about Iceland ... I haven't made it there -yet- but your pages seem to capture it well. Interesting. Nice job.

• bianchis's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2004 at 3:15 AM

I know this is where you can see nature in all its beauty and I would love to visit one day. Thank you for your photos

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2003 at 8:08 AM

Another place I must visit one day !!!!

Bjorgvin Lives Here!

Bjorgvin

“The innocent and the beautiful have no enemy but time - W. B. Yeats”

Badges & Stats in Reykjavík Region

Have you been to Reykjavík Region?

Latest Activity in Reykjavík Region