"Reykjavik" Reykjavík Region by Bjorgvin
Reykjavík Region Travel Guide: 1,636 reviews and 4,334 photos
Reykjavik is the capital and largest town of Iceland. It is located at the southeastern corner of Faxa Bay in southwestern Iceland. According to tradition it was founded in 874 by the Norseman Ingólfur Arnarson. Until the 20th century it was a small fishing village, ruled and largely inhabited by Danes. It was granted municipal powers and was designated the administrative centre of the Danish-ruled island in 1786. The seat of the Althing (parliament) since 1843, it became the capital of a self-governing Iceland under the Danish king in 1918 and of the independent Republic of Iceland in 1944. Noteworthy buildings include the Parliament Building, the Old Lutheran Cathedral, Hallgrim´s Church, the National Library of Iceland, the University of Iceland, the National Museum, the National Theatre, a state hospital, and a navigation school. Bessastadir, the residence of the president of Iceland, is outside the town.
Nordica Hotel re-opened in April 2003 after enlargement and extensive renovation. This is a large **** hotel (284 rooms)... more travel advice
“The Cultural Night” in Reykjavik has become an annual event in the cultural life in Iceland. Actually it’s an all day... more travel advice
- See All The tranquility of Tjornin
- See All The Culture House
- See All Espresso!!
- See All Bird watching
Bjorgvin's Related Pages
Reykjavík Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iceland - in winter!"
- "Reykjavik 101"
- "Seamandrew's Reykjavik Region Page"
- "Reykjavik - wonderland :)"
- "Iceland, a small country with big heart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reykjavík Region
- Hotels in Reykjavík Region
- Transportation in Reykjavík Region
- Nightlife in Reykjavík Region
- Restaurants in Reykjavík Region
- Shopping in Reykjavík Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Reykjavík Region
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reykjavík Region
- 38 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Reykjavík Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reykjavík Region
Photos in Reykjavík RegionSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 21 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 32 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 27 reviews, 19 photos
- Greece Intro, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 20 reviews, 13 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 19 reviews, 14 photos
- Norway Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oslo Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue