"The Golden Ford" Top 5 Page for this destination Guildford by Bjorgvin
Guildford Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 227 photos
The name of Guildford, which began as a Saxon village by a ford in the River Wey, was probably in its early form the guilden (golden) ford because of the golden sands in the riverbed at the ford. The village became a town in the early 10th century and possibly a fortified one to stave off Danish invaders. Although not very populous it was a thriving community and it had its own mint. When the Normans came they built a wooden castle to overlook the town - a castle that in the 12th century was rebuilt in stone. The main reason for Guildford?s prosperity at the time was the woollen industry. The town was given its first charter in 1257, which meant that it got certain rights, such as self-government and the right to send a representative to Parliament. So Guildford became a "borough" and was also given the right to hold a market and a fair. The importance of Guildford began to diminish already in the 16th century with the decline of the wool trade in the area, but as such it continued to be an important market town for the surrounding villages. In the 18th century Guildford remained a small and rather unimportant market town, but in the 19th century, especially with the arrival of the railway in 1845, it grew rapidly. Today the Borough of Guildford has a population larger than the capital of Iceland, and it is a university town from the late 1960?s when The University of Surrey opened its doors to students.
Guildford?s most famous son is without doubt George Abbot (1562-1633). He was Archbishop of Canterbury from 1611 to 1633... more travel advice
A traditional English Pub on High Street, Guildford. Newly refurbished. Serves good traditional food. more travel advice
Bjorgvin's Related Pages
Guildford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guilfest - Annual Music Festival in Stoke Park"
- "Charming medieval/college city in Surrey"
- "The Golden Ford"
- "My Home Town!"
- "Hiking on the North Downs"
- "A day of art and culture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guildford
- Hotels in Guildford
- Transportation in Guildford
- Nightlife in Guildford
- Restaurants in Guildford
- Shopping in Guildford
- Warnings and Dangers in Guildford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guildford
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Guildford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guildford
Photos in GuildfordSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 21 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Reykjavík Region Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 32 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 27 reviews, 19 photos
- Greece Intro, 37 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 20 reviews, 13 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 19 reviews, 14 photos
- Norway Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oslo Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue